Get a Replacement Medicare Card on my Social Security

A woman holds up a Medicare cardWe have more great Social Security news to share! If you lost, damaged, or need to replace your Medicare card, you can now get a replacement Medicare card using your online my Social Security account. This is the newest feature to my Social Security as we continue to improve its functionality and convenience for you.

Your Medicare card is the most important piece of identification you have as a Medicare beneficiary — it’s proof that you have Medicare health insurance. Medical professionals and insurance companies need this proof to provide you with accurate care and compensation. If your card is lost or damaged, and you are currently entitled to Medicare, you can easily order a replacement using your online my Social Security account.

Simply access your online my Social Security account and select the “Replacement Documents” tab. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare card.”

After you request a card, it will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.

More than 18 million people use my Social Security because it’s the easiest way to access their own personal Social Security information they need to plan for retirement.

Your account is a hub for doing business with us, including:

  • Keeping track of your earnings and verifying them every year;
  • Getting an estimate of your future benefits if you’re still working;
  • Getting a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them; and
  • Managing your benefits:
    • Changing your address;
    • Starting or changing your direct deposit; and
    • Getting a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

We continue to add new services to my Social Security to meet your needs. We collect customer feedback so we can add features that will make your business with Social Security faster and easier. Adding the Medicare card replacement service is the latest in our efforts to make your experience with us as positive as possible.

Opening a my Social Security account takes only a few minutes, and it’s safe and easy. After your account is open, you can request a replacement Medicare card immediately — there’s no need to call or visit a Social Security office.


74 thoughts on “Get a Replacement Medicare Card on my Social Security

    • Hello Kathryn, Replacing your Medicare card is easier than ever. You can request a replacement Medicare card online using a my Social Security account. To sign in to an account or create a new one, go to Sign In or Create an Account. Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days. You can also use your account to request a benefit verification letter if you need immediate proof that you have Medicare.. Or, if you prefer, you can call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or visit your local Social Security office.

  1. I appreciate your publications and vigilant operation!
    Its evident that there is no undue “political” influence in what you are transmitting which enhances each and every publications I have received! Keep up the good work!

  2. Can I have a replacement card that has some other number that is not my social security number?
    That is, can I change this number – for security reasons?

    • I am a new member to Medicare starting January 1,2016. I was horrified when I saw my social security number on my card. I am considering not using it and contacting my legislators for a different id number. What a disgrace, and inconsiderate is this system. Identity theft is ha huge problem.

  3. If our Social Security Number has been compromised, would I be able to change my Social Security number? and how are we going to know whether our Social Security number is among the 80M stolen or compromised???
    Manuel, On behalf of Mercy Sanchez and my self.

  4. It is beyond time for Social Security to use a number other than our Social Security numbers for Medicare. Just as we learn more almost every day about the importance of preventing identity theft, everyone with Medicare walks around with their Social Security numbers on view.

    • I would like to remove my social security number from both my own and my wife’s cards. Would that be possible? Her card carries my SS number with a “B” suffix while mine has an “A” suffix. I think this is a personal security issue that should be addressed.

      • You can clearly see there has been no response from the SSA regarding your query. Of course you can’t remove it from your card — that is what the SSA uses as your identification number, abeit a clear breach of personal security.

        Essentially by emplacing your SSAN on an ID card that is presented to all medical providers/facilities, the SSA is facilitating the potential compromise of one’s SSAN. It is important to note that even though the military and federal service — decades ago — discontinued the use of SSANs on all individual correspondence/ documents, official and unofficial — due to critical/sensitive nature of this personal numerical identifier, the SSA still continues to use one’s SSA number on the ID card to this day. With the preponderance of identity theft and the absolute critical need to safeguard ones SSA number against such potential fraudulent use, for the SSA to continue to post these numbers as an identifier to all medical facilities for which the SSA holder may apply, is absolutely outdated, irresponsible, and egregious to say the least. The good news, however, is that through continued lobbying it appears the SSA will finally eliminate this practice of using SSANs as a personal identifier on an ID card. However, it is expected to be years down the road before being effected, and thus countless more potential/actual compromised personal information may/will result in the interim.

      • Unfortunately, we cannot remove Social Security numbers from Medicare cards at this time. However, we are in the process of making new Medicare cards that will no longer display a cardholder’s Social Security Number. Click here for further information.

  5. For parents of adult disabled children, how do I sign up to get access for my disabled adult children who are not able to it for themselves. I am their rep payee. I was told Parents are not allowed to use the websites, we still have to come in for all business regarding our disabled adult children… Has this changed?

    • Sorry Yvonne! You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you are the representative payee. You can only create a my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. While sometimes you may have to come into the local office to take care of business for your children and manage their benefits, most issues can be taken care of by calling us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Our representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps.

  6. tried to log in would not let me create a new password and it is OK then tried to log in again and it said I had an account. So I’ ll have to call seem we need better technology

  7. Once you turn 65, with the new Obama care, your Medicare card is no longer used. You have to have a “MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLAN” ~~ then it is all handled by that plan administrator. I have been told “do not use your medicare card”???

    • Ummmm … no. Sounds like you have a third party insurer trying to bully you in to accepting their plan. Supplements are great, but only get them if you need them, and call Medicare to get an idea of reputable plans in your area that will fit your needs.
      PS: THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT ( Obamacare is not a thing ), has to do with work provided insurance, not Medicare.

  8. My wife is receiving benefits under my SS#. She has never received a MEDICARE card.
    I live in Argentina.
    Paul Clark

    • Hello Paul! Thanks for your comment. Medicare generally does not cover health care while you are outside the United States. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are considered part of the United States. To learn more about Medicare coverage outside of the United States, please contact your local Embassy or Consulate to find out what your options are. You can find their contact information, including an email address, on our Office of International Operations page. Hope this helps!

  9. Honble Director You Sent me More then two time 8digit Social Security Nunber but create acount it is need 9Digit number.kindly sold me about this.Best regards Emdadul Haque

  10. They issued my Medicare card with my middle initial, right next to the last letter in my first name. Can this be corrected? Is this due to me having a long first name?

    • Thank you for your question. The name we use on Medicare cards is the name you provided us when applying for a Social Security number card. However, if there is any incorrect information on your card, or you have a question regarding your card information, please contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

  11. I tried to log into my social security account, and I got a message stating that my electronic information has been blocked and for me to contact the SSA. Why is this? I signed on last week just fine. Have I done something wrong while trying to sign in? Has my info been comprimized during the last security breech? Any info would be greatfully appreciated.

    • Kirk, we are sorry that you are having trouble accessing your my Social Security account. For assistance, please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. We hope this helps!

  12. my husband is 65, he will retire at 66 and his birthday was in april. when does he have to apply for soc security and medicare?

    • Thanks for your question, Edith. As for when your husband should apply for benefits, he should do so no more than three months before the date he wants his benefits to start. For more information on when and how to apply for retirement benefits, please read our publication, When to Start Receiving Retirement Benefits.

      Since he is already 65, he should apply for Medicare right away. Otherwise, his Medicare medical insurance, as well as prescription drug coverage, could be delayed, and he could be charged higher premiums. Please read our publication, “Apply Online for Medicare – Even If You Are Not Ready to Retire”. When he is ready, he can apply online. We hope this helps!

  13. Over 100,000 SSA beneficiaries have had their benefits stolen as a result of setting up MYSSA accounts. Beware that setting up a MYSSA account makes one vulnerable to hacking and identity theft. SSA is suppressing information to the public regarding the amount of benefit theft and identity theft that is occurring since MYSSA accounts have been established.

    I won’t set up such an account nor should you if you value your privacy. Go to an SSA office for service or call the 800 number or your local SSA office. It’s a lot more safe than MYSSA.

    • Thanks for your concern. However, opening a my Social Security account online is quick, safe, free, and easy. You will need to provide some personal information and answer some questions only you are likely to know. This process protects you and keeps your information private. There are extra security features, too. You can have unique text message codes sent to your cell phone each time you want to sign in. There is even an address bar at the top of your screen indicating the website has an extended validation certificate. This means the information you provide to Social Security will be encrypted and that the website has been verified by a certification authority.

      Join the 19 million satisfied customers who have successfully set up my Social Security accounts. You can safely review estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, your earnings record, and the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid. A new account is created about every six seconds! We hope this information is helpful!

  14. Medicare Advantage hijacks your Medicare. Essentially Medicare Advantage becomes your primary insurance and you do not have Medicare as primary because the Medicare Advantage bills Medicare “in your name”. You no longer have a supplemental insurance. Too bad I had to find this out after giving my info to providers and being told “you no longer have Medicare.” I’ve also gotten rejection notices from Medicare because my insurance now “covers” the charges. That rejection information confuses the providers also. This kind of information about Medicare Advantage should have been delivered to consumers and providers alike. I wonder if the organization providing my insurance (I am retired) even knew how this worked before getting us into it.

  15. Hello:
    Medicare has my Mother’s birthdate wrong. She has her birth certificate to prove it. Can we call and get it straightened out or do we have to go in person to a SSA Office? She is 100 and still is sharp as a tack. This has been going on for years. Please help.

    • Thanks for your question, Linda. The fastest way for your mother to correct her date of birth on her Medicare card is by going to her local office. In addition to bringing her birth certificate, we also need proof of her identity by another original document such as a U.S. passport, drivers license, state-issued non-driver ID card, or health insurance card (not her Medicare card). The document must be current (not expired) and show her name and other identifying information. For more information or to make an appointment, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  16. I’ve heard discussions in the political arena about waiving or amending the law that imposed penalty, to us retirees who are receiving federal annuity, on our social security pension. Is anything at all happening on its implementation if the amendment was passed? I, for one, can surely use the additional income, if it happens. Please let me know the status, if you will, and it will be greatly appreciated.

  17. I have a transgender friend who has successfully changed his legal identity, and had a new social security card issued with the correct name. He has tried more than once (both in person and over the phone) to get a corrected medicare card issued. Each time people are friendly and helpful, and he’s told that it will be corrected within a week. However, for some reason, the change is not getting made. Because of this mismatch of Medicare (old name) and Medicaid (new, legal name) identities, he’s unable to access health care. Is there a way to escalate this issue?

    • We are sorry to hear that your friend is having trouble accessing health services. For security reasons, we do not have access to personal information in this venue. In this situation, it is best for your friend to continue working directly with the local Social Security office. He can request to speak to a manager on his next visit to see how we can help expedite the process.

  18. I changed back to my original Health Plan on January 1, 2016. How can I let Railroad Medicare know that I have changed so they will stop taking funds from mu annunity from his retirement fund? should I get another medicare card.

  19. My grandfather’s birthday is wrong on his Medicare (by 2 days). Medicare told me to go to social security because they get their information from them. When I went to the local social security office, they stated that they had the correct DOB on file and Medicare has it wrong. What should I do now?

  20. I need a medicare replacement card for my mother. She’s ninety years old and disable. The card got misplaced and we can’t fined it. I do have her s.s. number. Can you help please?

  21. My husband name has to be corrected on his Medicare card in order for the second insurance process the 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover. When he applied for Social Security he informed them that he uses his middle name most of the time with his last name. The Medicare card was issued with his first name, middle initial (wasn’t spelled out) and last name. This might present a problem when Medicare process the claims and sent the 20% to his second insurance where he is registered only with his middle name and last name. How can we correct this?

    • Hi Isabel. Medicare uses the name you have on file with Social Security. For SSA enumeration purposes, a legal name consists of a first name; middle initial and last name (or surname).
      In general, a US born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her U.S. birth certificate unless the person’s name has changed based on certain events, such as a marriage or a valid court order for a name change. A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document. If your husband needs to change or correct his name on his Social Security card, he will need to provide us with documents that support his request. Once his name is corrected on our records, he will have to request a new Medicare card. When he is ready, he can take or mail his application and documents to the nearest Social Security office or card center in your area. For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.

      • Thank you Ray Fernandez,

        We called Social Security and since I was trying to help my husband the Customer Service person was extremely rude and hanged up the telephone. I wish that I always could speak to an educated person like you. Anyway since my husband only wanted to have his middle name spell out we will go to SS in person. The office is a walking distance from our home. Thanks again for your assistance.

        • Hi Isabel. We apologize and we regret to hear you did not receive the kind of help you expected. Please keep in mind that if your husband needs to change or correct his name on his Social Security card, he will need to provide us with documents that support his request. The first and last name shown on the SSN card must agree with the first and last name shown on the document submitted as evidence of identity or legal name. For complete instructions, please go to Social Security Number and Card.

  22. I love mulberries, but I hat having to go around the mulberry bush to obtain the necessary info from SSA, and, the SA has denied opening an account in my name (I’ve tired for the past two hours!). I NEED A REPOLACEMENT MEDICARE CARD!!!!

    • Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask one of our representatives to process a request for a replacement Medicare card. For help with creating a my Social Security account, call 1-800-772-1213 and after you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Thanks.

  23. I have tried to speak to a representitive on numerous occasions and not been able to get through. My question is :
    I have received 2 medicare cards. All information is matching on both cards except for the letter following my medicare claim number. One is “A”, the other is “T”.
    Which one is correct? And what do I do with the other card?

    • Hi Duane, we are sorry to hear that you are having difficulty reaching someone by phone. We are experiencing higher than normal call volume. The letter following the Social Security number in your Medicare card identifies whose social security record entitles the beneficiary to Medicare benefits. For security reasons, we do not have access to personal records via this blog, but one of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation and answer your questions about this matter. Generally, when calling our toll free number (1-800-772-1213), you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the week or later during the day. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  24. If my name appears on my SS card as Mary (first name), Lou (middle name), how will it appear on my Medicare card–as Mary Lou or as Mary L.? I currently sign everything as Mary L. (middle initial–not name) ad now wonder if I will have to change everything to Mary Lou or if I can continue to sign as Mary L.

    • The Medicare program, including Medicare cards, is managed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).

  25. My elderly mom (suffering from dementia and 99 next month) just entered a nursing home and we’ve learned that she needs a social security card in order to apply for Medicaid when her funds are depleted. Social Security does not accept power of attorney, my mom never had a passport or driver’s license so has no government issued ID! Is there anything we can do to facilitate this? Please respond! Thanks.

    • Hi Judy. Yes, we prefer a government issued document with your picture, as proof of identity to replace your Social Security card. If your mother does not have one or cannot get one within a reasonable amount of time, we may be able to use other documents such as a certified copy of her medical records or a health insurance card. Any documents she submits, must be an original or certified copy, current (not expired) and show her name, and other identifying information (date of birth or age). Our agents will be able to provide additional guidance as to what documents your mother may be able to use to get a replacement card. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. To learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card, please visit our “New or Replacement Social Security Number and Card” web page. We hope this helps!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *