68 thoughts on “No Need to Visit a Field Office: Replace Your SSA-1099 Benefit Statement Online

      • Change the limit restrictions on those who are working and receiving Social Security Benefits on lower income People who make less than 25,000 a year. Make it easier for them to keep their benefits. Early retirement for those people is because they have no choice. Their regular income is to low to meet the markets demands in living expenses. And getting another job at the age of 62 for most Americans is harder to get because younger people are taking the jobs up. Anyone who makes over 25,000 a year do not change the income restriction. Only on the lower income people who make less. Their income is still contributing to Social Security benefits. They can keep their Insurance with their companies until they are able to receive Medicare at a later time. Gives them a better chance to bring their lower income status to a more stable level where they are not looking for other benefits to maintain standard living expenses.

        • please put in good word for celebrity Christina Stansberry that has self-employment on record only receiving $59.99 a month with self-employment on record. they say they don’t deal with that part! then referal and grant to sba.gov compassionate allowance and late payment suppose to be aleast 1400.00 she is ha business open treasury department government family JOHNNY CARSON THOSE CARSON ARE RICH HOW INHERITANCE FROM WHARTON CLUB BOSTON DON”T PAY THAT? please rally in republican party ILLINIOS ON CORRUPTION!

    • oh really mr. borland. I have been trying to download my SS-1099 for a couple of days without success. It keeps telling me that it is not available. I have signed on and have followed the directions. For some reason I was not mailed or the post office lost the benefit statement. The website is a disgrace please get your act together. I have also asked the s.s. to mail me another one hopefully I will get it soon so I don’t have to cancel another appointment with my tax people who do my returns. I am not happy about the terrible service that I have been receiving. I doubt you will respond to me, but you should check out the website because it is not working for me, and please don’t blame me or my computer. Its the s.s. fault

      • The MYSSA accounts work fine, you, or anyone for that matter don’t have access to reprint their 1099’s until February 1st of EVERY year!

        This is because they are being mailed out from the processing centers from January 1st UNTIL January 31st of EVERY year!

        After February 1st you can log on to your MYSSA account and print one, call 1 800 772 1213 and request them to mail you a replacement or walk into your local Social Security office and they can print you one on the stop.

        How are you receiving terrible service???

        The 1099’s are mailed out and people don’t have access to replacements until February 1st EVERY year!!!!

        Make sure your mailing address is correct with Social Security and all 1099’s are sent first class mail, if you didn’t receive yours, how is that Social Security’s fault?

        The website works fine, I suggest you take a computer comprehension course.

        • oh really I don’t see why I can’t download the ss 1099 am I the only one that can’t download it. the message on the website says that they are not available and I should check back later. so in all the country I’m the only one who can’t download it, really jeff you are down right rude. the message posted on the website is that these statements are not available why don’t you check it out yourself instead of insulting me. There is also a message that the website is going to be undergoing maintenance I guess I’m imagining that also. I can see all my info on the website by the way so my computer skills are fine how are yours?? P.S. I assume you mean on the spot and not on the stop.

        • why are we given our Social Security money away to illegal aliens, which never worked for to earn collecting Social Security benefit? The fact of the matter is: I am not getting a right amount of my Social Security by the way. Would it be able to rectify it, and ratify the amount? Military plus Civilian Life paying Social Security All along..Same SSN….Thanks

          • I agree I feel that we are the forgotten ones the money that we are supposed to get is being given to the elligals and our governor doesn’t care as long as she gets her pay that is all that matters so sad

    • Do you want people to get their identity stolen? The SSA-1099 form they mail has your Social Security number on it. The identity thieves goes after the mail.

      You must not care about people’s identity being stolen. It is easy to get their birth date knowing the person’s name and house address.

  1. Thank you for the emails that keep us up to date. There are always those that use this website to complain and those that make fun of the remarks but this administration puts out timely and informative information. Keep it up.

    • Thank you Susan! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive. We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and your satisfaction is our reward.

  2. They shouldn’t discontinue the paper statement even in this age of digital. It is our proof of benefits against scammers plus not all of us have personal computers.

    • The identity thief scammed are the ones stealing the SSA-1099 form from the mailbox. It has your Social Security number on it. It is easy to find out your birthday with your name and address.

    • Some employers are stupid and mail you your 1099.

      The scammers steal your 1099 from the mailbox. You don’t have your 1099 to file your taxes. You wait on them to mail you another 1099. The scammers file your taxes before you do and rip off the IRS. Then you have to fight the IRS because the IRS wants you to pay back the money.

    • Hi Raymond. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account from outside the United States. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. When living abroad please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to your Social Security benefits.

    • Why are we not allowed to file tax returns??? Both hubby and I are on Social Security and we receive small pension checks.We pay taxes on everything,why can’t we get a refund??? Thank you

      • If you did not have any taxes withheld from your pension or SS checks, and did not pay any estimated taxes, there are no taxes for you to have refunded. There are “refundable credits” for certain people who do not have any withheld, but these are people who have “earned income” or are eligible for “child tax credits” or “education tax credits”. Most people on SS or receiving pensions do not qualify for those tax credits and refunds.

    • You may not owe anything. Your SS benefits might not be taxable. There is a special schedule that determines the amount of SS benefits that are taxable. At the lower end of the income scale, only 50% of the SS benefits are taxable, but this income is offset by your Standard Deduction $ 6,300/person plus you Personal Exemption of
      $ 4,050. Therefore, there would be no tax due for most people who have only $ 20,000 of SS benefits. Even a small amount of pension might not even result in a tax due.

      • Some people who get Social Security must pay federal income taxes on their benefits. But, no one pays taxes on more than 85 percent of their Social Security benefits.
        You must pay taxes on your benefits if you file a federal tax return as an “individual” and your “combined income” exceeds $25,000. If you file a joint return, you must pay taxes if you and your spouse have “combined income” of more than $32,000. If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits.
        See Benefits Planner: Income Taxes and Your Social Security Benefits for more information.

  3. I am from Ethiopia still I did not received any refund and I don’t have SSN. because of identity thefts now I need your help about my refund & ssn. to my past and future benefits.

    • If you worked, you were required to have obtained a SS#. Until you get one, there is no place for the SSA or IRS to credit you for your income and tax withholdings.You might actually owe taxes, and not even be eligible for a refund. If you do not get a SS# because you are afraid of “identity theft”, you should not be eligible to get a job anywhere in the US because your employers are required for you to fill out an I-9 form, and a W-4 withholding form before you are allowed to start to work. If you are an “independent contractor”, then the company you are going to provide services to is required to get your SS# from you so they can issue you a 1099-MISC at the end of the year. They should never pay you until you provide them documentation of your SS#.

    • For tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this helps.

  4. Need some help On reporting a death of a veteran who was retired and living in Korea and was receiving SS benefits. Can that be reported to the Office In Manila and what paper work is required so that his spouse can file for benefits and what forms need to be submitted. Thank you

    • Thank you for contacting us John. You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online. We ask that customers living abroad contact their nearest U.S. Embassy for assistance. This link includes the email address and telephone number of the U.S. Embassy in Manila. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

  5. If you aren’t mailing the 1099 form out anymore & one can get it in the govt. web page , that’s a grate advance for millions of retirees.
    I’m presently living abroad, in my case in particular how can I get it from now on, I can not open an acct in the SSA web page due being out of the States, the system automatically rejects you for been abroad.
    Any legal explanation, please.
    Thank you

  6. I never got my 1099 for taxes in the mail or my new cost of living increase. I have tried to create an account twice and it says it doesn’t exist. Can you please send me one of each? my address is current on your file.

    • We apologize for the inconveniences Joan. If you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. At the same time, you can also request a copy of your SSA-1099 form and a copy of your benefit verification letter for 2017. Or you can contact your local Social Security office directly. Thank you.



  8. It appears my post has been removed, so here it goes again.
    What ever you do , don’t file on -line. Here is why. It is long, but worth the read.

    The Social Security Administration Would Frighten Franz Kafka and Amuse “Ernestine.”

    It might seem a stretch to conflate the Social Security Administration with the writer Franz Kafka, the author of TheTrial and the Castle , and the comedienne Lily Tomlin’s portrayal of “Ernestine”, a phone company “spokes person,” but walk with me down absurdity lane.

    In his two works, Kafka focuses on the absurdity of the world exacerbated by anonymous, domineering, insensitive bureaucracies pursuing governmental policies that are at best illogical and at worse, patently unfair, unforgiving, and often deadly. Lilly Tomlin’s “Ernestine”, frequently opined disdainfully about customer complaints by saying, “ we don’t care, we’re the phone company.” These two themes, faceless bureaucracies inefficiently and unfairly doing a government’s business, reinforced by a monopolistic attitude of not caring about citizen redress, applies to the Social Security (SS ) Administration. As a Kafkaesque governmental entity its leadership doesn’t care about legitimate complaints , because , to channel “Ernestine”- “we don’t care, we’re the Social Security Administration”.

    A recent article in the Baltimore Sun highlighted the absence of a permanent Social Security Administrator, and that there is a 20 month backlog in reviewing disability claims. For me, this backlog has nothing to do with a lack of leadership or personnel, but is a deliberate ploy to stone wall legitimate claims so as to make the claimant go away because of sheer despondency at getting a resolution to the appeal.

    I am a retired Baltimore Police Sergeant and when working I did not contribute to the SS system. But after retiring I earned enough quarters to qualify for SS benefits and consequently Medicare. I applied , on- line, for benefits on January 3rd 2010, and answered yes to the questions regarding pension benefits. In an anonymous letter dated March 15, 2016, SS stated that I allegedly owed $27,577.00 in over payments based on the Windfall Elimination Provision because of my pension, and I had 30 days to repay. I say allegedly when I refer to any of the figures quoted by SS because I have no idea of their accuracy. Included with the letter was a repayment envelope and I didn’t have to use a stamp-how considerate. Now this SS saga became Kafkaesque, instead of just consummate incompetency.

    SS has a multitiered appeal protocol. I filed on March 29, 2016 and stated SS was at fault for the alleged overpayment. Naively, I thought requesting an informal meeting, per a SS’s appeal protocol, would resolve the issue. Approximately eight months later, in a letter dated November 15, 2016, SS admitted fault in processing my application without taking into account my pension. However, I would be getting a letter explaining my “new overpayment”- a decision that I could again appeal. These SS letters are sent regular snail mail with SS assuming you get them without proof of delivery. Nice gambit, particularly when you are given a 30/60 day window to appeal.

    A letter dated January 24, 2017 claimed I allegedly owed $23,841.00. No mention of my informal meeting request or that the alleged overpayment added to my gross income for tax purposes. SS used $3,736.00 of my benefits to recover part of the alleged overpayment, and if I didn’t remit the $23k plus in 30 days, my entire SS benefit would be used to recover the money.But, I could appeal for a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge (ALD) to contest.

    This depressing Kafkaesque joke became more surreal. On February 2nd, I submitted an appeal for an ALD hearing with supportive documentation to my assigned SS office. On Saturday , February 4th, I received a letter from SS ,dated February 3, 2017, and with this letter the hammer fell . My benefit was terminated effective the March 2017 payment, including my Medicare premium, until November 2020. Consequently,I will have to pay out of pocket for my Medicare health coverage and I recently received the first premium bill with billing date if 1/27/2017. Meaning, that SS /Medicare processed a premium bill 3 days after the date of the last SS letter I received stating I could appeal. So much for this scam of an appeal system. The insane thing is that there are two more appeal steps I am entitled to, but I know what they are worth. Your appeal is denied even before your appeal steps are exhausted, and you are punished accordingly based on an anonymous whim. – Kafka smiles in his grave.

    Compared to what many Americans experience at the anonymous “hands” of the Social Security Administration, my SS absurdity pales, but it exemplifies what the Administration thinks of the American public, “we don’t care, we are the Social Security Administration.”

  9. Hi, my dad passed last May. My mom needs his 1099 for her tax filing, but we never received it. How can we get a replacement copy? Thanks!

    • We’re sorry to hear about the loss of your father Kimberly. In certain cases, we may disclose SSA-1099 information from the record of a deceased person, only to a survivor of the deceased and only if we are able to establish the relationship of the survivor to the deceased based on SSA records. Your mother will need to go into the local Social Security office with proper identification and supporting documents to make a request for a replacement SSA-1099. If you need more information, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask a representative for assistance. We hope this information helps.

  10. What is the best way for elderly persons without computers to obtain replacement 1099 forms? My dad did not think he needed it, and threw it away. He does not have a computer, and the phone is beyond him too.

  11. Good morning, in order to get a copy of the SSA-1099 for my mother who passed away last year, I see that I need to go to the “local” SS Office with the proper documentation. Can I go to my local office, or do I need to travel to hers? And, is this the needed documentation: Letter of Testamentary, Death Certificate, my Drivers License? Thanks


    • Hello, Cindy. You may wish to consider becoming your mother’s representative payee. This would allow you to obtain necessary proofs from Social Security on her behalf. Having power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with the beneficiary is not the same as being a representative payee. These arrangements do not give legal authority to negotiate and manage a beneficiary’s Social Security and/or SSI benefits. In order to be a payee, you must apply for and be appointed by Social Security. A face-to-face interview is required. To make an appointment with your local office or to discuss further, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information. Thanks.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *