Need a Replacement Social Security Card?

You can now apply for a replacement Social Security card online using your personal my Social Security account. If you meet all requirements and live in some states or the District of Columbia, you can start using this service today. Go to for more information.

map of the united states


29 thoughts on “Need a Replacement Social Security Card?

    • Thank you for your question Alex. People generally cannot voluntarily withdraw or stop participating in the Social Security program. Unless specifically exempt by law, everyone working in the United States must pay Social Security taxes on earnings from covered employment. The law makes an exemption only in very limited circumstances for members of certain religious groups.

      • So very true. I thank God everyday for Social Security. When my husband was killed in 1974 it was a blessing and helped me support my child.

    • yes , who do you represent? the Koch bros. or ALEC , or Ryan ,etc. ? just asking because real people know the value that SSA is cannot be replaced ! period!

      • I represent myself, a hardworking American immigrant. And I want a choice the one used to called freedom of choice not a replacement a simple choice.

          • Not really! You go outside USA, you lose your Healthcare benefits, SSI, Food allowance, etc. except your SSA. Not good SSA Policy!

      • Hi Daniel. Generally, if you continue to work while receiving retirement (or survivors) benefits, your monthly benefit amount could increase. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically. We will send you a letter telling you of your new benefit amount. We hope this information helps.

          • Hi Crystal. The length of time it takes to receive a decision after a hearing varies. We care about our customers and are working as fast as we can. For security reasons, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. In your situation, we encourage you to contact your local office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and speak to one of our representatives. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Thanks!

    • Hi Richard. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase their monthly benefits. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years we used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically.

  1. I am working two jobs to make ends meet. However my doctors are saying that I need to retire. My duties are getting harder for me to perform and more difficult to function with the medicine. But How would I live if I quick my job to apply until the application was complete? What are the rules? Are there any exceptions?

    • The earliest age you can apply for reduced Retirement Benefits is 62. In the other hand, Disability Benefits are paid to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to result in death. A person may still be eligible for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program if they work. However, their earnings cannot exceed a certain amount. This is called the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) limit. If eligible, you could consider applying for retirement benefits and also apply for disability benefits before you reach your full retirement age. You can start receiving your retirement benefits while we consider your application for disability benefits and wait for a medical decision. For more information visit our “Frequently Asked Questions” web page on disability. Please call us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday or contact your local Social Security office for further assistance. We hope this information helps.

  2. I read that Social Security is the most efficient government program ever. Why does Paul Ryan want to gut it? What is he allowed to make millions of Americans fear they’ll lose their SS and Medicare? Why do Republicans go after low income people so viciously?

  3. I have a question on regards to what benefits cover a legal Alien as compare to a born Citizen. Maybe you can tell me where I can find the answer. thank you.

    • Thank you for your question Mario. Social Security benefits are payable to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents in the same way. However, there are many factors that could determine your eligibility. Current law requires that an individual earns 40 credits to qualify for Social Security retirement benefits. Work Credits are the “building blocks” we use to find out whether an individual has the minimum amount of covered work to qualify for each type of Social Security benefits. We hope this information helps!

  4. I have looked everywhere for a link to replace a SS card after I have logged in. The site runs me around in circles and I find no link to do this online. Yes I live in a state that can apply online.

    • Thanks for the feedback James. We checked; the my Social Security application and links to the site used to apply online for a replacement Social Security card, appear to be up and running. Please try again.

  5. Well I have missed the boat somewhere! Please direct me to the link. My understanding if you live in one of the states listed you can apply online for replacement. I just don’t see where?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *