Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

elderly man and woman holding hands Social Security is constantly evolving to make your life easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to the Social Security office is probably not necessary even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Re-certification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents administering HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the following websites:  or

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other SSA benefit document you should have received at the beginning of the calendar year or when you began receiving benefits, whichever is later.

We created these data exchange agreements to help you get the support you need at the first point of contact, even if that’s not with Social Security.  If you do need to provide proof of Social Security benefits yourself, we have another way to save you a trip to Social Security.  You can get an instant benefit verification letter with a personal my Social Security account at


61 thoughts on “Receiving Housing Benefits? A Trip to Social Security May Not Be Necessary

  1. Yes I do need help. Every time I tried to get some help they keep asking me for money and I don’t have any. I get $1,487 from Social Security and I am paying $1,382.20 a month for mortgage. I get $416 from OPM and $229 from Aetna which you already know. I have no other payment. I have a high electric bill, high gas bill, plus 12 co-pay medications. I tried to get medicaid to help me pay for my insurance and they told I made too much money. I pay for car/bcbs $200 monthly.

    • If you had an efficiency apartment where I live you could be paying $650 for rent, $40 for electricity, and $10 a month for gas in your car. Why stay in your house when you can’t afford it anymore.

      • Not sure where Bernadette lives but in the area we live, there is no affordable housing or section 8 available. The wait lists are 4 to 10 years. Some of the affordable housing is being converted to regular apartments with the rent going from $600 to $1400 ..legally. Bernadette you may want to consider renting a room.

      • I paid off my home before I retired, so I wouldn’t be paying rent to someone else. Everyone that is about to retire shouldn’t have a mortgage payment or be paying rent.

        • whatta dreamer u are..not everyone is as fortunate as you but what are u going to do when taxes go up the roof needs replacing or a major repair needs to be done? count ur blessings before being critical of others after all ..when you die you have nothing!!

    • Assistance programs are for those with low income. It sounds like you need to move to a place you can afford. Have you thought about getting roommates? Have you talked to your mortgage company and asked if there is a way to lower your payments ? Can you find someone to take over the payments and live there if/when you move out ?

      We have to adjust our lifestyles as our finances change.

        • sounds to me like you are living very well i wish i could afford all you have i have to live were there are litterly gun shootings from gangs at least 5 times week this last week we did ok we only had 3 but 3 were killed all under the age of 21 and 2 of them were laying right outside my kitchen window 2nd one went into neighbors kitchen window what stoped the bullet was a tapatia hot sauce bottle sitting on his kitchen table and no one cares they say everytime the police and gang task force you live in the ghetto what do u excpect well its all i can afford cause i became disabled very young in life i make $800. 599. rent 100. pg&e and that leaves me $101. for food,and shampoo toilette paper body soap female diapers so once thats paid i get about 50. for groceries im not eligible in ca for food stamps oh and i forgot i have $12, a mnth in copay for meds and been waiting on sec 8 or hud for 5 years i think last time i checked i was 5306 on the waiting list

      • Obviously everyone’s shark instincts have taken over .Bernidette you should look in to ether a refinance, or a reverse mortgage, Either one would give you relief. There are government offices that can refer you to reputable organizations, in both fields

    • Ask your doctor about help with signing up for pharmaceutical programs for free medications or at a discounted price. is also a good place to see where the cheapest meds are in your area. They ask for zip code and the name of the drug to search. Hope that helps. You can work and still receive SS benefits, ask SS about the Ticket to Work Program. Hope this helps.

    • I’m sure you’re going to get a lot of advice but let’s face it. Many people have to adjust their lifestyle when they have a loss in income. Rather than having others supplement your situation, change your situation.

      • I was just saying to the other person thats getting alot more then i get and she thinks she has it so bad Im very blessed I have a sister that is a penny pincher and some how some way she is also my caregiver she always makes sure i have what i need I just before my husband passed i was so spoiled and i didnt even know what paying a bill was he did everything and i did everything i wanted i never ever had to wait for a payday we were only property mngers but some way he always bought me diamonds we live very comfortable I played bingo usally 3x a week if not 5 and it was always $200. cause like I say i never knew the meaning of no till he passed and i had to start paying and i couldnt do it and then i had a nerves breakdown lost my inner memory cortes then cancer and then copd and couldnt work and had to go on ssi cause when we were mngers they only pay one person so all the money was in his name in the long run know that we all see i was loosing my memory and other motor skills so i get minimal ssi and his ss is not a lot because part of our pay for the 18 yrs of our 24 yr marriage was property mangers and most of income is your resident,telephone,gas and electric car insurance internet we live in CA in Pebble beach area were rents are $2800. to $3,200. for a one bedroom and then we went into mobile home park mngers were we had a triple wide very very nice 2 bedroom Mobile home sunk in bath with fireplace in your master suite that over looked the ocean again rent $3,000. to $4000, all that was great till you become disabled and cant claim none of this

    • Since I have a disability and I going to college to have AA degree in Computer Science and Graphic Arts. I would like to become more sufficiency to care for myself. I live in low income housing that programs for full time students like Eden Housing Project. I would have always to renewal the lease every year in order to live in apartment in CA because the rents are expensive in private landlords’ apartments. The rents are always cost from $1000 to $2000 for 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom.

  2. If I am currently a California resident and I receive a Section 8 voucher to rent a home or rent with option to buy, can I move to another state and utilize my voucher?

    • if you state says you can. Here in Ohio , law was i have to stay one yr. I am not going no where .I have a sweet apt at a sweet price and just make it on less than 1K i live on .Some here should be grateful for the help they do get. Someday when i do get older it will be less and i can only pray i remain right here in my apt

      • Not true when my daughter in law went from Salinas ca to Shelton WA here voucher was no good they did help her get it faster then some one who has never had it any were but she had like 6 mnths before her sec 8 was approved and also shelton wa is very small place and theirs not a long wait for anyone

    • “Under the voucher program, new voucher-holders may choose a unit anywhere in the United States if the family lived in the jurisdiction of the PHA issuing the voucher when the family applied for assistance. Those new voucher-holders not living in the jurisdiction of the PHA at the time the family applied for housing assistance must initially lease a unit within that jurisdiction for the first twelve months of assistance. A family that wishes to move to another PHA’s jurisdiction must consult with the PHA that currently administers its housing assistance to verify the procedures for moving.”

    • Find a case manager or social worker. If you are a senior, call your city or community center and see if they provide those services. If not, call 211and ask if they can refer you to someone who can review your situation. Also, some medical plans have case managers or services (like Kaiser has Altegra, My Advocate). In addition to benefits, you may qualify for utility assistance programs. Talk to a HICAP counselor to make sure that you are in the best Medicare plan for your condition. You may be able to lower your costs.

    • Also, if you have Dependents, they may be eligible for benefits. There are rules, You can call your local SSA office or the toll free number and ask if you have dependents that are not receiving benefits. They can tell you if they may qualify.

    • AND then you call. get up, go get the food card, apply for free phone. Get your heat down with your state who has a form of ”heap or pip )call it. When you go here,compare your income to what is available. No case manager or anyone like that is going to do it for you .Unless you bedridden , you will have to seek and find. Glad i did –Good luck to you and God Bless ya too

      • That’s true. There are so many government programs that exist. Yet the vast majority of these programs are only accessible to people who know of their existence, where they are located, and have the ability to ask to speak with someone from the exact name of the program. It’s one of the ways they keep from providing everyone with everything that they are eligible for. WARNING!!! BEWARE of non government associated websites that claim to determine the various programs you may be entitled to. DO NOT FALL FOR their bait. If you have been going to multiable websites in order to research a specific type of assistance. It’s only a matter of time before your info is sold to a company that will entice you by asking you if you need help in the exact type of assistance that you’ve been researching. A rule of thumb, if it doesn’t end in .gov then AVOID THE WEBSITE. And do not give them any information. A website owner who buys your info will most certainly resell your info to everyone they want. Acouple of good places to begin are at the website to the Department of Human Services. They will have a alpha list with a short description of every program they have to offer. Programs from DHS will be offered by, and funded by the state in which you live. For a list of federally funded programs available, go to There you will be asked about 30 or so questions(the most intrusive question asked is your birthdate). The questions, may seem somewhat random, but they are designed to provide you with a list of all federal programs that you may benefit from and,or are eligible for. So answer the questions accurately. Even if they at times seem silly. Again every program within the list provided to you once all the questions are answered will contain a breif description and the contact info for each program. Don’t get too excited. Not much beyond the handfull of well known programs are easy to get assistance from. They each have their own rules and what can make you eligible for one program, can disqualify you from another.. Personally I suggest learning about all programs that offer the same type of assistance. Ask questions through emails. Never erase those emails as they are indisputable.reference in case you need them. Decide which program is right for your situation by rulling out other programs of the same type. And remember that every social worker who you correspond with, talks to hundreds or thousands of people every week, with similar problems as your own or worse. Good luck. And for your own sake….do not get into a hurry or expect immediate results. Patience and adaptability are two virtues that will save you alot of stress and anxiety.

      • you cant get food stamps if you live in CA they say they give us a supplement income already the social security people say that even though people that get cash aid for 2 people get more then we do but they get Food stamps we get like 130-160- on SSI and food stamps for one person is $218. and for 2 people its over $300. so they get more then we do its sad

    • Hi William, you may write to us and request a review of your records. You can also call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

    • Hi Lena. Please bear in mind that the decision on when to apply for retirement benefits is a personal one. We can only provide you with the information to help you make the best choice according to your own situation. We suggest you create a My Social Security account to review your earnings record and get an estimate of your future benefits. Remember, we respond to questions and provide general information about our programs through our Blog and Facebook page. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask here (never post personal information on social media). We hope this helps!

  3. Hi, I have applied so many times for my husband to get some benefits because he has Dementia and he cannot work I am only working in the household my husband is not getting any social security benefits because according to them he did not work enough credit in America, but if he got sick and he has dementia he do not know or remember anything how will he complete four credits I need help with all the payments because my credit card bills getting higher and higher and according to the social security I am making more than minimum.

      • I am in love with my wife we are going well with God thanks for your comment about marriage is true we need to live together for lifetime yeah in God we trust thanks U.S.A we stand

  4. How can you even start the process with assistance for housing. I got let go at the age of 62, collected some unemployment and had to apply for social security, since getting hired at 62 is not likely to happen, although I keep trying! Since my social ecurity payments are less than 1000.00 per month, how can I find housing assistance?

    • I live in WA state. It took me one year to get on the Housing Program. When the list is open is when you can apply but it does take time. Don’t ever give up and stay in contact with them especially if your situation changes. You can keep watching on their website in your city.

    • Find all your answers and all services you will need right here
      You sign up housing which can take yrs so get started now. Not all rentals are Metro or low income. You can talk a landlord into putting him in for a renter for housing and most will as they like a check compared to no rent at all. DO NOT be afraid to ask questions.Call get advice . Folks need to learn to read.. YOU would not believe what i have and found .just from looking and doing my homework .God Bless and good luck to you

    • HUD.GOV is where to look for everything related to housing. Btw…I’ve spend MANY MANY hours on that website. Try not to get distracted by all the flashy adds for their programs. Or you might as well make it your homepage. Actually. HUD.GOV will tell you about these programs but for straightforward answered whether or not they have a program that is AMIZINGLY BENIFITIAL…..IF…you meet the requirements. Go to USDA.GOV. and no i did not misprint USDA.GOV. Good luck.

  5. I have been doing hhomework over a year on trying to get in the hud program.that helps single mothers on ssi to buy a home…I HAVE PAID TO GET MY CREDIT IN BETTER SHAPE.. PLUSES I HAVE MY HOUSE TO SELL.but I haven’t been able to speak to any 1 .that is with the hud program. .can u please help me..

  6. I live in Louisville ky and my current landlord was taking section 8 payments. Now because of my stupidity i took myself off sec 8 because they said my ssdi was too high. I have been struggling since then to pay all my bills and have even gone the route of putting myself on cc debt just to keep up with things and go to a food bank once a month fr food. Come july 2017 i will be forced on medicare because i cant afford private insurance after they take out what is it $131 a month just for part A then 20% fees ? Plus my rent will go up soon..can’t ask if she will go back to section 8 voucher program til I find out if I am eligible for it still. Any answers or questions for me? I have been off the voucher program for less than 2 years if that helps.

    Thank you

    • Hi! You usually don’t pay a monthly premium for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), and the standard Part B premium amount in 2017 is $134.00. Medicare enrollees who have limited income and resources may get help paying for their premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses from Medicaid. Please visit the Medicare website or call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 to learn more. For Section 8 or housing assistance programs visit the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development official website.


    • Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *