186 thoughts on “Reporting Changes is Your Responsibility

    • Hi Frances, we are sorry to hear that you are having difficulty reaching someone by phone. We are experiencing higher than normal call volume. Representatives are available on Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. at 1-800-772-1213. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday. Members of the public who are deaf or hard of hearing should call the Agency’s toll-free TTY number at 1-800-325-0778.

    • Good luck! I was on hold for 55 minutes!! No other corporation in the USA would get away w/ such dispicable customer service Finally got a live person to be told nothing!! Soc Sec.owes ME money since 2012! Why do they take our money w/out hesitation but take forever to return it? Total shame if this is the best our government has to offer its citizens. If the department is so under staffed HIRE more employees!! I have been told there is not a phone in the payment center they can only send emails! How absurd ..it took 4yrs to realize i did not have an over payment and taking forever now get my money they took!! Wish they can try role reversal see how much patience they would have

    • Hello I have asked for the correction of my Earnings statement since beginning of March, I supplied everything to show my self-employment earnings for 2 years that show $0. I sent and faxed those years schedule C’s, MY EIN showing I am the sole proprietor, I even sent in the IRS transcripts, as they have my earnings correct, and it shows that I paid my quarterly taxes and even got a refund those years. I did not my husbands name on a couple of the schedule C pages and asked if I needed to amend those tax years. The IRS said no, it is obvious that my husband has the W2 and I have the business, she said it’s easy to figure out. I called SS and they said I had enough proof. Then I get a letter in April saying I did not provide sufficient proof? I then have the CPA amend those years only with the 2 little name issues and the rest is the same. I went in 2 days after the letter and hand delivered everything to her that I sent. She said I had now shown proof, I said please i don’t want to leave here until you tell me yes. The IRS said why don’t they call us. She promised to change right away, then 3 weeks later promises she will change that Wednesday, 3 weeks after that promises to change that friday or next Monday and says she will call me. Nothing. Now three weeks later I leave her another message. BTW I have never gotten a call back from any messages I sent. I do no want to file a grievance because she holds my life in her hands. I have an SSDI cclaim that sits because she bill not change to show credits, thankfully it was just moved on to DDS anyway, but without the Earnings correction who knows what I will get, or anything? I am always polite, always nice on the phone. Does she hate me? It’s been over 120 days. I even sent the request for earnings change for to the Baltimore address, but did not send them the amended return although let them know I had filed amended with name change. That was only about 7 weeks ago. Every person I speak with at SSDI line says they can’t believe it, especially because I have been promised many days it would be completed. They said it takes no time to enter the correction,. they have even sent notes saying what is up? My SSDI case sat for over 2 months because of this. What in the heck can I do. Please advise. Thank you

      • We apologize for the delay and inconveniences you are experiencing, Amy. Unfortunately, but for your security, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You should be allowed to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

    • Hi David, please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. About changing your address: If you are not yet receiving benefits you don’t need to change your address with us at this time. If you do receive Social Security benefit you can create a my Social Security account to change your address and manage your benefits. You can also mail the change of address to your local Social Security office, or you can update your address by calling our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  1. where can I get examples of changes that need to be reported? How about a change in marital status? Article leaves more questions than it answers….

  2. I had a problem recieving my benefits,and the social security people helped me to straighten it out.they were patient and kind so thank you very much

    • We’re glad we can help! We are committed to providing the public with the best service possible, and it’s wonderful to know our efforts are paying off. Thanks for your comment.

  3. I went to sign on to my account today. I clicked on forgot my password. I entered all of the items requested. The answer came back, as saying we cannot find an account for you.

    I went in to create an account, and it said, an account already exists. What gives. Do I have an account or don’t I ?

    • Hello Timothy ! We are sorry you are having difficulty with your personal my Social Security account. For assistance, please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

      • Will my SSI stop if fail to update my address? I actually forgot to call in in the midst of moving and noticed I did not receive payment this month. What can I do at this point because I am in a bind.

    • I’m having the SAME problem! Says account can’t be verified. I emailed to let SS know and still have not got an answer. How do we sign in now?

      • Hello Sue. We are sorry you are having difficulty with your personal my Social Security account. For assistance, please call 1-800-772-1213. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

      • Hi Steve. You can still work and receive your Social Security retirement benefits at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2015 that limit is $15,720. This limit changes in the year you reach full retirement age. To learn more, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page or read “How Work Affects Your Benefits”. If you have questions, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and talk with one of our representatives.

        • Do those limits apply if I were fortunate enough to win the lottery? If I were to win, say, $20,000, Would I lose my Social Security? If I were lucky enough to win, every cent of my winnings would have to go to get me out the immense debt I’m in.

          • The limits mentioned before apply only to wages. Winning the lottery will not affect your Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits which are paid based on your previous work and your contributions into the Social Security program. Benefits paid under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, on the other hand, are subject to other income and resources. Lottery winnings will affect SSI benefits
            Good luck!

  4. Been waiting for a court date to go before an administration law judge its been almost 2 years since I applied for my benefits still no court date

    • Same happened to me , 2 years before getting hearing and then 60 days after for judge to give decision . then months later will get a check then a bunch of mail , still waiting all funds. good luck be patient! i know its hard

      • It took me three years and innumerable doctor visits but I finally got it and the retro payment and monthly payment came right away after that.

  5. I have sent the proper paperwork for my IRMAA event, due to reduction in payroll. Was sent to local SS office and was told I had 60 days to notify you of this. Still waiting for response from them.

  6. I have been trying to find out if I qualify for ssi but I can’t find out any information I am 63 yrs old can you please help me.

    Thank you for help in this matter.

    Beverly wadsworth

    • Hi Beverly! The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to people with limited income and resources who are: Age 65 or older; Blind; or Disabled. Please read our publication about the SSI program for more information, including how to apply.

  7. I was on part time work weekly 32 hours. Got fired in november. was checking out disability insurance, and found out if you got social security, you couldnt collect. end of story. needing operation soon hopefully.

    • So sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes you’ll need to notify them over the phone or go to your local SSA office in person as soon as possible the better for you.

    • so sorry to hear about your daughter passing away. When Mom passed away this year the funeral home contacted social security , but you still need to call medicare. 1-800-medicare.

    • Mary Ann, we are sorry for your loss. Usually, the funeral director notifies us of an individual’s passing by contacting their local Social Security office. To verify this information was reported, you need to talk to one of our representatives. You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Or you can also contact your local Social Security office.

  8. If it is something that you have notified me I qualify for – do I have to notify you?
    I am so confused with Medicare and FirstCare.Gov or something warning me of plans and updates.
    I think you know more about me than I do!

  9. where can people report others who fail to report additional income producing persons in subsidized housing, unreported income disability clients and other fraud recipients of the many programs? how about offering cash rewards for valid savings for these cheaters?

    • Hi Bob. Social Security takes reports of fraud very seriously. If you suspect Social Security fraud, report it. Thanks !

  10. I have no knowledge that I need to report anything ! Maybe you already know that OPERS has taken away from its retirees and spouses their previous Humana Advantage ? It looks like I am still on Medicare!

  11. Why doesn’t Social Security have an e-mail available for recipient to ask questions to benefit issues, etc? There would then be a paper trail available for both the SS office and the benefit recipient. This would also improve transparency and accountability.

  12. Thank you and thanks a lot from Mohammed Abdul Mannan and My
    Wife Rizwana Mannan for having accepted our kind request to have our
    SSI fixed at $ 187-00 for each of us from December 2015, by deducting
    $ 5.00 { Five dollars } each month until the overpaid SSI is fully paid up. Thanks that we are both getting that amount of $ 187.00 from the Month of December 2015.

    We, thank you again for your kind help for both of us.

    • Thank you for your feedback! We’re pleased we can help. Our employees are committed to providing the public with the best service possible.

    • Hi Mary! You can create a my Social Security account and view you earnings records. If you already receive Social Security benefits, you can manage your benefits and you can view, print, and save your benefit verification letter at any time with this account. We only mail Social Security Statements to workers ages 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60 and older, but only if they do not receive Social Security benefits or if they do not have a my Social Security account. We hope this information addresses both of your questions.

    • Hi Mary! You can create a my Social Security account and view you earnings records. If you already receive Social Security benefits, you can manage your benefits and you can view, print, and save your benefit verification letter at any time with this account. We only mail Social Security Statements to workers ages 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60 and older, but only if they do not receive Social Security benefits or if they do not have a my Social Security account. We hope this information addresses both of your questions.

  13. I am on social security disability. My son who is now 17 and also receives benefits. He is now a junior in a state approved on line school. Connections Academy. He will be turning 18 next Sept 14. but will still be attending the online school until he graduates. Will he still receive benefits until he graduates?

    How are his benefits affected if he gets a part time job?

    • Normally, benefits for children stop when children reach age 18 unless they are disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first. You must complete forms regarding the type of school your child is attending. For further assistance, please call our toll free telephone number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday to Friday, between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office.
      If a child on your record works while receiving benefits, the yearly earnings limits apply.

  14. I started receiving SS benefits in September of 2013 I believe. We have a lovely SS office right in Waterville, Maine with exceptional people. My question is why is my account handled by New York or Pennsilvania, why do they take months and months if not years to answer questions or make a determination, and last but not least make statements or decisions that I haven’t got a clue how they arrived at that particular conclusion. They say married couples can earn up to so much money before we are penalized then they say we over paid you this amount which I paid back, then I’m told I was under paid, then I’m told I owe thousands of dollars and they have deducted what I was under paid from the amount I supposedly now owe. I appealed their decision back about a year plus ago and have still yet to hear anything on my situation. It has been very confusing to say the least, plus I was not well during that whole time so my participation was marginal at best and I trusted SS to stear me right. So as far as reporting changes in one’s situation it would be very beneficial if SS was held to the same reporting standards to their clients. Not enough people…. hire more, or help me to understand why such extremely long delays????

    • Unfortunately, your questions are a bit more complex than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. Please continue working with your local office on specific information about your case. Thanks!

  15. I am and have been receiving Social Security Disability almost 15 years and ingagag with intention to Marry
    My bride to be is currently receiving State Suppliment Disability. Question is will she or me receive any changes with our income after we marry?

    • Thank you for your question, Jeffrey. If you get Social Security disability benefits and you marry, your benefit will stay the same. However, if someone gets disability benefits under the Supplemental Security Income or SSI program, getting married may affect their benefits. The amount of SSI benefits is based, in part, on the income and resources available to the individual. This includes income and resources available from his or her spouse.

      • When talking about marriage between beneficiaries, be careful about using the term Social Security Disability – there are several types of disability benefits and some can be affected by marriage – Childhood Disability Benefits (also known as Disabled Adult Child) and Disabled Widows Benefits can be stopped by getting married. As mentioned in this post, SSI benefits can be reduced or ended by marrying. If you are seriously considering marriage, check with your local Social Security office before jumping into a marriage situation. Remember that marriage can also affect Medicaid eligibility.

      • Is the person receiving ssi benefits affected if he/she does not live with their spouse? What proof do you need to show that your spouse does not live with you? Also what happens if you report being married to ssa but they have no record of it?

        • Thanks for your question, Michelle. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, marriage may affect your benefit. Also, there are times when SSI benefit determinations are affected by a persons living arrangement. See what changes you must report and how they may affect your eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and your benefit amount, by visiting our web page: “Understanding Supplemental Security Income”. For further assistance, please contact your local office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213.

  16. Thank you for your very informative blog. What I need to know is how to access my wife’s social security account online for her.I did register for both of us and used japietro66@ gmail.com . I know how to access my account , but need to know how to acces her account for her.When I try to access her information for her It won’t let me create a new account for her.We both use this computer .

    • Thank you for using our online services, Joseph. Please remember that you can only create a my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you have that person’s written permission. You can never share the use of your account with anyone else under any circumstances. Unauthorized use of this service is a misrepresentation of your identity to the federal government and could subject you to criminal or civil penalties, or both. Your wife should call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After she hears “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” she should say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. If she needs additional assistance, it might be best for her to visit the local Social Security office for further assistance.

  17. So another year without a COLA increase because of low oil prices while everything else is going up, including the Medicare premiums. Can someone explain how increasing the Medicare premiums is NOT going to effect the amount in benefits received ???

  18. the reason you are not getting a COLA increase is not because of low oil prices, it is because the republicans do not want to spend the money. its being fought through petitions

    • How can everything be going up like food , and the national cost of living and no one understands that the Seniors are already in the RED….are they just stubborn? Since our earned monies were spent for other things by the Government, they need to pay us back. Anything else is like stealing it from us!!

  19. I’ve been waiting almost a year to go before the administrative law judge, I’m wondering how long does this process to receive a date for my hearing. I found a lawyer and everything is ready for my hearing.

    • Thanks for your comment, Lashanna. The length of time it takes to get a hearing can vary from state to state. We attempt to resolve all claims promptly, but there may be delays due to the volume of pending appeals in your area. The good news is that we are trying to conduct many of our hearings through video teleconferencing (VTC) to speed up the process. Visit our “Hearing And Appeals” web page for more information, and continue working with your attorney and local hearing office on specific questions about your case. Thanks !

  20. On your impersonal voice recording when we live people call you, could you at least state what TIME ZONE you are in and not just 7AM to 7PM! We are not mind readers. thank you

    • Hi Mary. The earliest age you can apply for retirement benefits is 62. Our system is set up to take applications three months in advance. When you are ready, you can complete the online application for your Social Security retirement benefits in as little as 15 minutes. Also, you can create a My Social Security account to review your earnings record and get an estimate of your future benefits. If you have specific questions, you can call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) for assistance. Representatives are available between 7a.m. and 7p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  21. Ok my I get survivors benefits and my son gets ssi benefits, both of our money comes on the same card thru direct express. The question is my son is fixing to stay with my sister she will earn temporary guardianship over him how do I go about getting a separate debit card with just his money for my sister???

  22. I find it interesting we always get the same “canned answers” and have been for years. We call, its busy and same answer. Change of address is easy to a point….try it if you are out of country. Can’t do it. Why? Because it only accepts a US address. I’ve been retired overseas since 2006. You were notified then and every two years I get the same what I consider threatening letter reminding me I need to notify you. Which I do call and get the same non response. I come and go. I do need to keep informing SS every time I re-enter the USA or leave. Immigration has that info but SS doesn’t need it. Because my retirement status hasn’t change and as long as I do not live in a restricted country and all my money goes into a US Bank, so who cares? I do not need to be threatened by the “benefits cut off for 6 months”. SS needs to have a better way of reporting changes than it does now. People who are in 10-15 hour time differences or get their mail in two to three weeks due to poor country mail service need a break. I suggest the website add a page for foreign travelers. Issue solved.

  23. Gentlemen:
    I am well beyond the age for penalties against my monthly benefit (74 years) but I have been working as a school bus driver part time and wonder if the SS I have been having taken from my weekly pay check would increase my monthly check. I have heard nothing from you folks and thought a little note from me would spark a look see.

    • Hello Mr. Johnson, the benefit amount that you’re receiving, is based on the amount of your average lifetime earnings. Under current law, we used the highest 35 years of earnings to compute an individual’s benefit amount. Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically. We notify individuals about any changes in their benefits. If you have additional questions, please call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), representatives are available between 7AM and 7PM, Monday through Friday. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Hope this helps!

  24. I received a note from the SS Office saying the cost of living has not increased last year, so SS recipients will receive no increase at all. I know when I buy food, propane, and electricity they all have increased. Fees at local Parks, Zoos, and Amusement areas have increased. Since we Taxpayers who paid into Social Security for 50 or maybe 60 years and more are being told it doesn’t cost more to live are they comedians? Since the majority of SS recipients are not going to live much longer it appears the excuses are sort of silly. Trillions in Bailouts for Wall Street, Banks, and Insurance Corporations who increased Premiums and Loan Rates which did impact the Retired yet not even 2% for the ones who live on it. Since I am falling apart and wearing out from hard labor in the mines I know I’ll never make 75.

    • I can’t get over the number of people who gripe and blame Social Security because there’s no COLA this year. The CONGRESS decides thst,c every year, NOT Social Security! And who is in the MAJORITY in Congress and has been deciding to CUT CUT CUT what they call “entitlements” meaning Social Security and Medicare? Yes, the REPUBLICAN MAJORITY! Does PAUL RYAN ring a bell? You know, the guy who is trying to push through the policy of GETTING RID OF MEDICARE and instead giving each state a “grant” to hand to Medicare recipients in the amount of $500/year to BUY health insurance on the open market? Riiiight. Like that’s going to work. And his plan to PRIVATIZE Social Security, meaning to give every dime in it to PRIVATE INVESTMENT COMPANES to “invest?” Gee, how well did THAT work in 2008 when the stock market CRASHED and you lost half your 401k??? Because the R Republicans had done away with pensions so we could have more “control” over our own savings? If you’re going to blame and gripe, at least blame the RIGHT people. YOU VOTED FOR THESE THIEVES AND I’M TALKING ABOUT THE MAJORITY REPUBLICANS IN CONGRESS! So STOP putting these idiot crooks in office! Anyone who votes for these Republicans again DESERVES what they get – too bad you’re dragging the rest of us down with you.

  25. I thank we should get more SSI I worked when i was 14 yr old and paid ssi now and then, at that time then raised my family now 88 I worked 25 yr worked until i was 65, now i only 1.350 to live on . Looks like i should get a little more to pay rent, and live on.

    • Hi Mary. You can try to return to work while receiving Social Security disability benefits. We have special rules to help you get back to work without jeopardizing your initial benefits. You can learn more about how work can affect your benefits by reading our publication, “Working while Disabled- How We Can Help”. Keep in mind that whether you are receiving Social Security or Supplemental Security Income, it is important to let us know promptly when you start or stop working, or if any other change occurs that could affect your benefits. For specific questions and to report changes and update your benefit records, please contact your local office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. We hope this helps.

      • What if someone fails to report earned income and subsequently makes more than the allowed $1130 a month on SSDI?

  26. I filed for Disability I believe over 3 yrs ago &, been denied 3 xs, but my attorney filed for an appealed 3 times! I finally got my hearing & my attorney told me that day “Everything went great, you have nothing to worry about!” That was in August 2015, since then I received paperwork from Disability saying the judge did not feel that Im considered to be “Disabled”!
    I want so bad to go stand in front of that huge and say, “I’m standing in front of you with a disability that you can not see with your eyes….i don’t have limbs that don’t work or visible scars everywhere! For almost 25 years I have lived with this disability is inside me! ( Major Manic Depression, Severe OCD, Severe Anxiety, Social Anxiety Disorder, Bipolar, ect.) That is only the Mental Disabilities & believe me having just one of those illnesses can control your life on a way that functioning in the real world is next to impossible!! I have not even mentioned the physical disabilities I deal with every day!! I was born with no curve in my neck, so there for per my chiropractors orders cant lift anything over 5 pounds! I have osteoarthritis of the spine, arthritis in my hand, fingers, feet, toes! I have degenerated disc disease in my neck, middle / shoulder area & lower back! My fingers & toes are completely numb most days! I have mitral valve prolapse, I have tumors (hemangiomas in my liver) , severe endometriosis! And on top of all that in Nov 2011 I came down with a Very Severe Case Of The Shingle Virus On The Left Side Of My Face! I had the ras & blisters from my jaw/ear ,cheek,my nose on my eye , in my eye,(herpes zoster of left eye & l since 2011 I have had to suffer with post neuralgic nerve pain on & around my eye! It covered the whole left side of me head all the way back to my neck! As i said, at first the virus was on my eye…then it got in my eye…my left eye filled with scar tissue inside & I also have started getting scar tissue on the cornea now! Because of this I have to take the antiviral acyclovir 2 xs a say for the rest of my life! My vision is so bad I have to wear contacts plus reading glasses! With just contact I can not see my fingers in from of my face or my food on my plate! Since my first outbreak in Nov. 2011 of the Herpes Zosters’ Virus, I have had the vaccine & continue to take acyclovir 400mg 3 times daily for the rest of my life….i have had 4 more out breaks of Shingles just in the last year in a half alone!
    With the list of illnesses comes medication & doctor, lab work, test, Psychiatrist visits, counselors & Optometrist (Specialist) which means $$$! I have no Job , no car, no $, and no place to live! My PRESCRIPTIONS ALONE ARE CLOSE TO $ 1,500 MONTH!! MY vision is getting worse because more scare tissue is continuing to grow covering my cornea (the doctors told me that nothing could be done to remove the severe scare tissue, such as Lasik, ext.) Once again my lawyer filed an appeal, but that was in August 2015….im lost here! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

  27. I turn 66 in July and plan to sign up for Social Security benefit. Because I am working full time right now and plan to continue working past FRA, in this first year of collecting social security, will I be penalized at year end for working full time during the period January-June that I am not full retirement age?

    • Congratulations! At 66 years young, you will reach full retirement age in July 2016. You can earn up to $41,880 during the period January – June. If you exceed that amount, we must deduct $1 from your benefits for each $3 you earn above $41,880. Starting with the month you reach your full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings. Please read out publication “How Work Affects Your Benefits” for more information.

  28. I came abroad to visit sick family member not knowing i had to report I am going to report it even though Im going back soon.. will they penalize me for reporting late?

  29. I’m turning 18 on January the 8th . I had the information filled out and mailed out to continue receiving benefits while I’m in high school. I wanted to know what month and day will the money start being deposited in my account ?

  30. My son’s January 2016 disability SSI check posted on 12/30/15 (1st time ever before 2nd or 3rd of the month) and it was $314.80 LESS. We have received no notification or explication of benefit reductions. Payment PPD ID number was different than previously which makes me wonder if this is correct. Cannot reach anyone by phone. Can this be resolved on-line in a private chat?

    • We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulty reaching someone by phone, Eleanor. Our phone lines are busiest early in the week and early in the month. If you are calling during those times, it is possible that the queue is full and we cannot place any additional calls on hold. Representatives at our toll free number 1-800-772-1213 are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day or later in the week.
      At this time we do not provide live chat service and can only provide general information on our Retirement, Survivors, Disability, Medicare and SSI programs on this blog. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask it here. But remember, never post personal information on social media. We value your thoughts and will use your feedback and suggestions to further improve the services we offer. Thanks!

  31. I have attempted to submit a change of address, after entering all the information a message came up unable to do so on information submitted. I entered correctly every question, where do I go now?

    • Thank you for using our online services, Celia! If you are not yet receiving any type of Social Security benefits, you don’t need to change your address with us at this time. If you are receiving Social Security benefits and are having problems with changing your address online, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. If you need further assistance, you may want to visit your local Social Security office. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you must report the new address to your local Social Security office.

  32. When I turned legal age to collect social security I was still working and after ten years of paying back to social security I am back working and still paying back but social security and medicare is still being deducted from my check. It is unfair that I have worked all my life and my health care was taken away from me because the company took advantage of the plan that congress enacted in 2008 that said that if you are eligible for medicare the retirement package that you worked for the health insurance benefit in the retirement package did not have to be honored. Social Security is a joke.

  33. hi, I applied for ssi was approved, told I would get one or two paper checks, I applied for direct express card, called ss office was told ok. my friends bank alerted him of improper deposit to his account, he thought it was a fraud attempt and had it sent back. now my ssi payment has stopped. what did I or he do wrong? how can I straighten this mess out, I am now believing I am going to lose my room and end up on the streets. also, how do I find out about a husband I have not seen in 20 years.

    • Hi Diorah. Unfortunately, your situation is a bit more complex than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. Please contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. for assistance. For help regarding Direct Express, please contact 1-800-333-1795. Thanks!

  34. Hi again, I only receive $41.00 a month, cannot pay rent, utilities, barely able to contribute to gas for transport to and from mental therapy, drs, grocery shopping, or other things I need. I am probably, NOW, going to have to have my 13 year old, 20 pound baby (pom mix dog) put down because I cannot afford to feed him.

  35. Been calling for a while but can never get through my question is my mother and her husband been married over 10 years both receive SSDI my mother receive more than her husband but recently her illness is making it harder for her husband to take care of her in the home. She prefers to live with me(daughter) than to go into a nursing home but is concern about her husband being able to afford the bills without her assistance. Since they have been splitting the bills for years. My question is Can he receive any kind of pension or benefits, finanical assiatance from spousal benefits without a divorce due her illness causing them to live separate. to maintain the household they shared. Basically is it any kind of help he could receive, im aware he could if she become deceased.

  36. What are the reasons I wouldnt receive my son’s disability payment… I have it direct deposited into my Direct Express account there isn’t any changes to report I haven’t done anything that I shouldn’t have I’ve been receiving the same amount on the same time at the same day for over 2 years I am my son’s caregiver he’s two years old and is unable to take care of himself whatsoever so can you please explain why I wouldn’t receive his money

  37. I am divorced from a man for 20 years who has been collecting SSDI, 100% since 1993. He is 65 years old, and next Feb. 2016 I will turn 60. I have been told when I turn 60 I can start collecting a portion of his S.S. Can someone verify this, and does anyone know the % I might receive? I have never remarried.

  38. I got married in July of 2015. I called SSI and reported both my marriage and a change of address the following Monday. I heard nothing from SSI till the tax forms started coming out, at which point I called the main office about my SSI tax forms. At that point, I was informed that not only did they NOT make a note of my marriage, but that they changed the address for my SSI but NOT my SSDI too. I just got my wife’s W2 back from the tax prep people, so I am sending my local office a copy of it today.

    My question is, what happens now? I did inform SSI within the required time, but it is now well out of the required time due to the main SSI office error. Does my wife’s income even count to my SSI SSDI? If it does am I going to be penalized when I did, in fact, inform them on time but they didn’t write it down? I’m just really worried about what is going to happen here. If you have any answers I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

    • We apologize for the inconveniences Betsy. If you receive Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits and you marry, your benefit will stay the same. However, marriage and living arrangements can affect your Supplemental Security Income or SSI benefits. The amount of SSI benefits is based, in part, on the income and resources available to the individual. This includes income and resources available from his or her spouse. Based on what you have shared, we suggest that you contact your local office and speak to a representative for further assistance.

  39. I became a widow at age 60. My date of birth 6/20/1941. My understanding was that as a survivor My full retirement age would be 65yrs 4mo. SS denied me benefits saying my full retirement age as a survivor would be 65yrs 8 mon. That does match full retirement age for my retitement from working but I what about the FRA as a survivor. I am actually still working full time because I cannot afford to retire.Because of that decision by SS I had to pay back all benefits that I had received during the year 2006 as survivor benefits in the amt of 600.00 month until it was all repaid
    I do not know if it is too late to protest this.

  40. I have been fighting to get my survivor benefits back for my kids for about a year. Back in Feb 2015 my parents took custody of my kids by lying to the court saying I abandoned them. my mother had my direct express card mailed to her by calling and pretending to be me on the phone with direct express, and withdrew every red cent before I even knew it had happened. The truth was that I was stuck in another state and couldn’t get back home (they left me in the state by the way) I had to stay in a homeless shelter for a month and when I finally got my money for the month it was only for me. My family had lied about not knowing where I was so the judge granted them custody. When I came back home they didn’t tell me about the court date for the appeal..in fact they said I hadn’t gotten any mail at all. Of course this was a lie. When the next court date came up they had a lawyer and I naturally didn’t because they had my income. The lawyer of theirs convinced me to allow them to have joint custody and I was promised I would get our money back. That was a lie. I went up to social security and told them the children were and always had been in my custody but because the court papers included my mothers name (she put herself as the payee) I was told I could do nothing and that she had to come up to ss and sign the money back over to me. She doesn’t spend the money on my kids and I have proof of that, but what can I do?? This is the only income we have and I can’t afford a lawyer to fight it. Please tell me there is something I can do to fix this so the money goes where it belongs..to my children.

    • Generally, we pay the benefits to the family member who is the primary care provider of the child. It is possible that benefits be paid to the grandparents if they have legal custody and the children live with them. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office about this situation.

  41. The website notes repeatedly that it is your responsibility to report any changes to annual earnings as they may affect your current SS payment amounts. But I don’t see anywhere on the website to report this change and I lost my part-time job. I currently have no earnings, and I’d like my SS to increase as a result. Where on the website do I report this type of change?

    • If you are working, we usually ask you to estimate your earnings for the year. If later you realize your earnings will be higher or lower than you estimated, you can let us know by calling our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or contact your local Social Security office. We will adjust your benefits, if necessary. At this time you cannot report a change of earnings online. Please visit our Retirement Planner: Getting Benefits While Working for more information.

  42. My mom receives SSI for about 6 years had 2 massive strokes in October and went to a new nursing facility in February for 1 month to finish her rehab, the facility sent over to ss to receive her check directly to them although I didn’t authorized it, ( I have power of attorney ) and knew she was only going to be there for about 26 days and I gave them a check for her ss income of the whole amount the beginning of February. Her march check was deposit to the nursing facility although she left on the 26th of February and I already paid them, after about 2 weeks and back and forth they refunded the check. On Mar 3rd I had everything changed over back to her bank account, on April 1st SSI tried to deposit to the nursing home and it was rejected cause they closed off her account at the facility sent back to ss, it’s April 5th and they haven’t tried sending it to her account I tried calling them and get we are extremely busy at this time try calling back and the phone hung up, tried again after 45 mins I hung up cause I was at work and couldn’t hold anymore. My question is will they send her check to her account sometime soon or do I have to go to the office in person?

    • We are sorry to hear about your mother’s medical condition Wendy, and apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing while trying to contact us. Perhaps, you should apply to become your mother’s representative payee. As a representative payee, you will be able to discuss your mother’s case with us and have access to your mother’s records or the ability to update her account information.
      Please note that having a power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with the beneficiary, is not the same as being a payee. These arrangements do not give you legal authority to negotiate and manage payments for someone receiving Social Security or SSI payments. You must apply for and be appointed as a representative payee by SSA.
      To become your mother’s representative payee, you will need to contact your local Social Security office for a face-to-face interview. A statement from her doctor would be helpful. The statement should say that your mother is not able to -mentally and physically- manage her Social Security benefits and identify you as the person responsible to keep her finances in order. Please read our publication: A Guide For Representative Payees for more information. If you have specific questions, or to make an appointment, please call 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to speak to one of our representatives. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  43. Hello..I just found out that I was supposed to report income earned over the allowed amount of $15720 ten days after knowing. I didn’t realize I was over until after receiving my W-2. Right now I am a nervous wreck, stressed out and feeling sick because I am petrified as to what may come of this. I know now that I have to report this. Can you please advise me on what will happen? I am currently laid off from a job as of March 31st, 2016 and I don’t have any other income but SSI. Will my checks now be cut off because of my ignorance? Is there a penalty to pay? Please help

    • Hi Barbara. When you receive Social security benefits and work at the same time, we usually ask that you give us an estimate of your earnings for the year. If later you realize your earnings will be higher or lower than you estimated, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible so that we adjust your benefits, if necessary. If you exceeded the allowable earnings amount in 2015, we probably paid you more than you should have been paid, which means you now have an overpayment on your record. We deduct $1 from your benefit for each $2 you earned above the $15,270. To learn more about “How Work Affects Your Benefits”, visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information. Since we do not have access to personal records in this blog, we suggest that you visit your local office. They should be able to assist you in coordinating the collection of the overpayment while considering your current situation. You can also call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  44. It is not my responsibility that I am forced to pay my rent 3 or days late. Social security is the reason that I get paid late. When this happens, I feel SSI is robbing me of $20.00.

  45. Was due to receive child’s benefits today .. address change and deposit account changed when I called ss office this morning to ask where my money was they stated I waited to late to provide changed deposit information . They stated I should receive in mailbox today is that true. I thought they stopped sending out paper checks .. what is going on

  46. I receive SSI and disability.I left my husband and moved in with my niece. I went to my local SS office and reported my changes.Do I have to contact medicare too ? Also since my husband just started getting retirement benefits,I filed for spousal benefits.If those benefits are not as much as my ssi will ssi make up the difference so I can keep my medicaid? Thank you

    • Hi Cheryl. Generally, we will also change your address for Medicare benefits, but if you prefer, you can still call the Medicare toll-free number at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). Remember that the Supplemental Security Income or SSI program is a needs based program that gives cash assistance to disabled individuals with limited income and resources. The amount of SSI benefits is based, in part, on the income and resources available to the individual. For SSI eligibility, we will take into consideration any income and resources available to you. If your regular disability and spousal benefit combined, are lower than the regular monthly SSI payment (of $733), then you may still be eligible for SSI. Please contact your local Medicaid office for questions related to your medical assistance benefits.

  47. I been back and forth at the social security office for a whole month. I reported new banking information to them. Since April .they keep sending my payments to my old account.. And last month they had to give me a papercheck..this month they did the same thing and I keep calling social security and going to the office. And I have not received my social security as of this date. They keep telling me to wait 7 days now the telling me to wait to the 18th of this month. I was supposed to get paid May 3 and my rent is due now they tell me to wait 18 days.. And when 18 days go by I will still have nothing.. My question is who do I contact about this what higher up can I go to ?

    • Hello Edward, we apologize for this inconvenience. For security reasons, we do not have access to personal records via this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit your local servicing office, you may call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  48. I received a letter from SS saying they were making a payment in my account of $9,990..and from April they will be increasing my SS monthly payments..from what I gather they have been underpaying me and corrected the payments..I also receive SS monthly payment from Australia..Australian SS will adjust their payment to me for any increase of my US SS payment..I am worried the Australian SS will penalize me for the $9,990 in back payment fro US SS..that doesn’t seem fair as US SS had informed them of what I had been receiving..I called Australian to tell them I had my payment adjusted and they said they need a letter from US SS..am I obliged to tell Australia about the lump sum payment of $9,990 as it doesn’t seem fair I would have my Australian SS cut because of being underpaid .

  49. Where would I, online if possible, submit information regarding new/additional physician information, scheduled surgical procedures new and medications prescribed? I’ve not yet received decision on my filing for SSDI (filed Feb 23, 2016) and want to insure I remain in compliance. Am I able to do this online or must I contract my representative to update while decision is pending? Thank You

  50. My 2 kids recieve Benefits because their dad is Decease. We have move to the Philippines for almost a year now and I have forgotten to report the changes and report for the yearly spending of the money. I am scared that it my stop for not reporting it right away. Its the only income we have Now. They are currently studying here in the philippines and also dual citizens. My question is will their SSI be stop because i have not report it right away? Please let me know.
    Thank you,

    • Thank you for your question April. The good news is that your children may still be eligible to continue to receive their payments outside the United States. However, all Social Security beneficiaries living outside the U.S. are required to report their change of address, even if we are sending their payments to a bank or other financial institution. Failure to report your new address may result in an overpayment or suspension of benefits. To change your mailing address, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance. Please visit our International Programs web page for more information.

  51. My son was due to receive his final back pay payment on June 18th. Yet still have not received nothing, was told that it can not be released until I do the payee year report. Which will next month, I never knew about that. Just trying to find out how that all works out.

  52. I went in for my yearly review and after we finished I asked the worker if I will still get my ssi the following week which is now the first and I was told yes. I didn’t get it and I have bills to pay and I go through something with them cutting my check or not paying me AT least every other month and it’s getting ridiculous. We get treated like crap for earning “free money” when we go through hell being disabled and then we go through more just to get paid. Are they trying to kill us faster or what? And why does our spouses get punished for our disability? Why should their income even matter towards what little chump change we make?

  53. Hello my son will be turning 18 July 11 and was wondering will he get his check for July ? I got a letter stating he wouldn’t but that makes no sense since he isn’t 18 yet and has college supplies to buy still

    • Hi Crystal. Thanks for your question. Social Security child’s benefits are paid in the month following the month for which they are due. Your son should receive his last payment for the month of June, in July. Since he turns 18 in July, there will be no benefits payable in August for July.

  54. What if someone fails to report earned income and subsequently makes more than the allowed $1130 a month on SSDI?

    • Generally, if you exceed the allowable earnings amount, there is a chance that we probably paid you more than you should have been paid. This can sometimes result in an overpayment.

  55. I need help! One of the dd’s for my children didn’t come through on Wed 6/20, this has never happened in 7 years with ssdi. I called ssa and was told the banking info had come off, it’s been the same since the beginning and my other child’s benefits were deposited into the account without problems as usual. The agent told me that a paper check was mailed and should have arrived the day benefits were due, which was Wednesday’s. The paper check still hasn’t been received and I’m really freaking nervous because I have a very tight budget and things are late already now because of this and I have to pay for his camp, a camp field trip by end of day etc. I can’t afford to wait weeks, or even days for this money. What am I supposed to do now? This wasn’t even my mistake!

    • We apologize for the inconvenience Cole. We usually advise people to wait three business days after the date they are scheduled to receive their check before calling us. To report a late, missing, or stolen check, contact us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or contact your local Social Security office for further assistance.

  56. If you get denied for disability with an authorized representative, when and how can you proceed without them (without representation)? What would I have to do?

  57. I called SSA and was told that my online application was not in their system. How could this be, I applied in January. Is it possible that my initial online application got deleted by me applying for SSI 3 months after I applied for SSD online?

  58. My common in law husband is receiving Ssi and we have 2 year old he is only receiving $733 and they won’t give us help for our 2 year old( besides food stamps) . Why is that? We don’t make it with only $733 a month

    • Thank you for your question Marylou. Benefits issued through our Supplemental Security Income or SSI program are based on the needs of the individual and are only paid to the qualifying person. There are no spouse’s, children’s or survivors benefits payable. Benefits paid through our Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, in certain circumstances, are payable to you and certain family members if you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. Your child may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live.

  59. Hello. I am currently receiving SSI benefits. If I marry a foreigner who lives and works in Canada, will this affect my benefits? We will not be living in the same home nor will we be sharing bank accounts or income.


    • When a person is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), getting married may affect his or her benefit. This is because the amount of the SSI benefit is based, in part, on the income available to him or her and the spouse.
      See “If I get married, will it affect my benefits” for more information.

  60. I currently get benefits but they cut I because of my wife’s income were getting a divorce but still live together what will happen to my benefits will it stay the same or go up

    • For your security, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. Please contact your local office or call 1-800-772-1213, M-F between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  61. Do I have to report a sale of Home if My Wife is on SSI and We sold at a loss and Moved into my Mom House she died 2 years ago I am a 1/3 owner when the estate closes

  62. I have tried calling but the keep putting me on hold!! I just want to know if when is the right time to call to make a change of i already had my baby but she is still at the hospital! Do I call when she is already home with me?

    • Ruby, congratulations on your new bundle of joy! Please be sure to report any “life changes” which may affect eligibility in your federal benefits. You may be due additional payments, or you may be overpaid and have to pay us back because you didn’t report the overpayment in a timely manner. For more information, please visit: Significant Life Changes May Lead To Higher Benefit
      If you are experiencing difficulties reporting this change, we encourage you to make an appointment by calling 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Friday and speak to one of our representatives. Generally, you may have shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Hope this helps.

  63. I retired in 2014. In January of 2015, I immediately contacted social security and notified them that my previous employer had phoned and asked me to come in for some consulting work which could consist of me earning more than the $15,720 limit in 2015. I also, in that call, asked them to stop my social security payments until what I owed was paid in full since I was only to work for 6 weeks. They withheld 10 months of payments but withheld quite a bit too much going by the retirement earnings test and estimated benefits reduction test that I found online. We received a letter back in March of 2016 saying that when they receive this information on the W-2 form or forms submitted by my employer of how much I earned, they would make final adjustments for 2015. This information of my 2015 wage earnings has been on my record at the social security office for months now though and I have heard nothing back. What month do they go over this each year and will I for sure hear back from them about this soon? One lady that I spoke to today told me they go over them in September or October of each year. Is this correct?

    • Thank you for your question Jerry. Each year -towards the end of the year-, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years we used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. We pay the increase retroactive to January the year after you earned the money. See our Retirement Planner: Getting Benefits While Working for more information.

      • Thank you, Ray. Those 6 weeks that I worked during 2015 which I mentioned here was the only time I worked since my retirement in June of 2014 and I do not intend to work again. We called social security as soon as I took the job, told them to hold my social security checks and they kept 10 payments which was $2,388 too much. The amount I earned for those 6 weeks has been on my social security account for months now. I only made a portion of what I did when I worked full time before I retired so recalculating benefits should not fall into this equation. We are simply due a refund and are wondering when they will review my account and if they will. Thank you, Ray.

        • Hi Jerry, as long as you continue to work and receive benefits, we will check your record every year to see whether the additional earnings will increase your monthly benefit. We perform this review towards the end of each year. In addition, after you reach full retirement age, we will recalculate your benefit amount to give you credit for any months in which you did not receive a benefit because of your earnings. We will send you notifications (letters) telling you about any change or increase in your benefit amount. See How We Deduct Earnings From Benefits for more information. Please visit your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

          • Thank you very much, Ray. We went to our local Conroe, Texas office today and the lady who spoke with us knew even less than we did so the visit was not a long one. She did say that all of this is in the payment center and they will work on it towards the end of the year. I also just sent another letter to your Chicago, Illinois office going over in detail (along with documentation) why we are owed the amount that we are sure we are owed. Hopefully, within the next few months, this can get settled correctly. Thanks again. You have been extremely helpful and it helps to know you are there.

  64. I have been married since December 2011 and have not been able to go to social security to make the change. My husband also does not work but receives a disability. Could I get in trouble for not reporting to ss about my marriage?? I also did not know I had to go to ss 🙁 I just thought that the marriage license we got was an automatic change and reported to ss.

    • Hi Desiree, individuals receiving disability benefits are required to report changes such as marriage, or change of address, etc. If your husband is receiving Social Security disability (SSDI) benefits, his benefit will stay the same after marriage. On the other hand, if he is receiving disability benefits under the Supplemental Security Income or SSI program, getting married may affect his benefits. This is because the amount of SSI benefit is based, in part, on the income and resources available to the individual receiving SSI benefits and the income and resources of his or her spouse. Your husband should contact his local office or call us at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      To see what documents you will need to change or correct your name on your Social Security card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page. Thank you!

    • Hi, if you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

  65. i started working again this year and i was reporting my wages.recently i received a raise at work and when i try to call to report my wages i can never get through to anyone.im sure i make to much to keep getting payments.i need to know how to inform them to stop payments because of my income because i do not want to have to payback any money.even though i use it to pay rent i have to spend money to buy my work clothes because i dont wear a uniform so it helps and my work pays my bills.

  66. I never got my back my this month, they want me to coming the office it’s the last payment I have bills and rent so I’m stressed out. I pray they give it to me I moved and everything has been messed up honestly I wanted better and now I’m living a nightmare… Sad!!!

  67. Ok, I somehow had the idea that I did not report income that was so low it did not affect my benefits, but now finding out thats not the case, can i report late? will i get in trouble…I had some small amount of rent paid to me, and just house sat in the past few years.. can I report now?

    • Hi Christi, for any income tax related questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

  68. Hi, I need to make a change in citizenship for my daughter who is now a US citizen. Would it be possible for me to go to a Social Security office and present her passport and ID to get this process completed for her, or does she need to show up in person? Currently she is under 18.

  69. i have a question.. if the social security disability office over paid me and are now taking a percentage of my work wages, do i refile my income taxes since it would have put me in a different tax bracket ?

  70. I have been trying to update my last name for month. Every phone call is telling me that they can’t do it until the Social Security office changers it. But my medicare and Social Security cards have been changes. I need it change it on my medicaid card, what do I do.

  71. Hello I filed for SSI for my daughter whom is 2 years old we had a hearing with the alj he told me and my lawyer he was giving us a fully favorable decision. So I called to social security and they told me that it is wanting to be assigned to a writer I wanted to know if I created a my social security account would I be able to see information under my name about her benefits? Or is there anything online that I can use to access and update all the information that needs to be updated

    • Hi MJ, we are sorry but you can only create an account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. To provide new information or to talk to someone regarding your daughter’s claim, it is best to continue working with your local field office. Or, you can call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask to speak with one of our representatives, who are available Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 7:00pm. Thanks.

  72. Social worker, rep payee for clients. called social security with client two days ago to report change of address. AFter being on hold for an hour, was told couldn’t do iit online and would have to go in to the office! What a terrible waste of time, and will even take longer, ie, picking up client, parking, waiting, reporting, driving client back home…confused b/c says we can report a change of address on the 800 line…

    • Thank you for your comment James. Individuals that are receiving Social Security benefits, can create a “my Social Security” account to change their address online. However, if you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you must report the new address to your local Social Security office. You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment with your local office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting. Representatives at our toll-free number are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We apologize for any confusion.

  73. I have recieved no notice in the mail about any change in my ssi benefits. Is it possible my online account on the SSA website showing the wrong information?

    • Hi Tara, please call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213, for assistance in your case. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day, or later in the week. Thanks!

  74. If my spouse starts her SS benefit, based on her income, and I continue working, will her benefit be reduced because I make over 60,000 per year?

  75. I was the Durable Power of Attorney and am now the Executor for both my mother and father. My father, passed on May 31, 2015. He was an Honorably Discharged/Disabled American Veteran. He had been wounded in the line of duty and carried a bullet in his body until his date of death. My father provided very well for my mother and myself. He was definitely our hero. I do not understand why his memory would be tarnished with the unruly actions of the Social Security Administration against his wife; my mother!

    In September 2015, my mother received a letter stating her benefits would be stopped until SSA found out what was going on. Several calls were placed in September 2015 and October 2015, to SSA to find out what the issue may have been and to ensure that all of the necessary documents were sent in on our behalf and that she had been receiving the benefited amount SSA had determined for her to receive (along with the surviving spouse allotment). We were assured that it was an error on the part of SSA and everything was being taken care of in a hurried manner. However, my mother did not receive any further correspondence from SSA in October 2015.

    Therefore, in November 2015, I placed another call to the (800) number for SSA and was told that I was being placed on a list for someone to call us from a local office to contact us for an appointment. Someone called 2 days later for an appointment the following week. At our visit to an assigned local office in Detroit, MI, we were told that my mother had been declared DECEASED. How could this be? SSA was not contacted with a death certificate for my mother, so why would they simply assume that she was deceased? We went back in December 2015 and January 2016 to see if SSA was doing what they were supposed to be doing in order to get my mother’s Social Security benefits reinstated, because her being declared as deceased meant her Medicare and Social Security benefits were cut off from everything she had; such as Health, Medical, Dental and Eye Insurance, Prescriptions, and even Secretary of State.

    My mother’s Social Security Benefits have not been in existence since August 2015. She had NO INCOME coming in at all!!!! While at the SSA office (in November 2015), she and I both wrote out statements as proof of her being alive, copies of her driver’s license were taken, as well as the unmerited fact that she was personally sitting in the office in front of them. All of this has done nothing to speed up the process that SSA has truly screwed up! No one knows or even cares about my mother’s livelihood! They don’t care if she is ALIVE, well, eating, is able to pay her bills, or anything!!!!
    My mother was supposed to also receive my father’s Veterans Administration Pension for Surviving Spouse benefits and had not received this either, because she had been declared deceased by SSA. She had to report the income she was receiving, but unfortunately, she WAS NOT RECEIVING ANY INCOME and was forced to report $0. So, VA denied her request and she did not receive this benefit, either. She cannot go to the doctor, because she has NO MEDICARE and the Medicare portion of her Blue Cross was involuntarily canceled. She cannot get her prescriptions either because of SSA and their screw up. Why didn’t someone notify us of all of this before it got so out of hand?! My mother is 82 years old, uses a walker and is now, a widow. She should not have to endure the things that she has had to endure for a year. I hope everyone involved understands that my mother may be 82 years old, but she is still in her right mind and knows that something isn’t right with what is going on. She speaks for herself and did not need a guardian or anyone to speak for her at that time.

    I, personally, am even more shocked and upset with the fact that SSA helped themselves to $3,696 from my mother’s checking account (on which I am a listed account holder) that they DID NOT deposit. In other words, THEY STOLE MONEY out of our account and still have not returned it. This is money that was not put in the account in any form of Governmental SSA direct deposit that needed to be withdrawn. This was money that was simply TAKEN without our knowledge or for any reason. I have our bank records to prove it! All checks that were deposited by SSA were returned at the hand of withdrawals by SSA dipping in-and-out of our checking account and they have all been accounted for!

    So, why in November 2015, would SSA withdraw 4 consecutive amounts of $1,391, $1,391, $457, $457, all on the same day? However, SSA DID NOT deposit any of these payments into the checking account, nor were any of these amounts supposed to be withdrawn from the account. Remember, SSA had not made any deposits into the checking account since August 2015 and they had ALREADY WITHDRAWN all of the amounts that they feel they deposited in error. All erroneous deposits and returns (withdrawals) had been accounted for, but my mother’s $3,696 HAS NOT BEEN RETURNED, YET!
    I contacted our bank to see what happened. Mind you, the bank never contacted us about all of the strange activity going on in our account, either. We had a contract with the bank to flag and notify us of any suspicious activity in our account, but the bank dropped the ball, too. The Bank stated to us that if that money is not returned by SSA, we should get a lawyer to have it retrieved. Needless to say, the bank was wrong and appeared to be working right along with SSA in destroying my mother’s life.

    In the second week of January 2016, I sent in a report to SSA’s Office of Inspector General for an investigation to be performed, but have yet to hear from them. I sent in another report in March 2016 and still NOTHING! Sent in requests for help from Attorney General’s office, attorneys, media, etc., still nothing. Not even any responses back.

    On February 3, 2016, we suddenly received a document from SSA stating my mother would receive $12,187 for payment through December 2015. It also stated that, in February, she would receive $1391 for January 2016. So, many questions still remain. (1) Is the amount she is to receive from SSA through December 2015 correct? (I do not trust SSA and their figuring with regard to my mother’s benefits). (2) Where is the check for February 2016 and when is she to receive that? She is still owed a check for February, too. (3) What about the money SSA withdrew from her account that did not belong to SSA? (4) And, where is the $12,187, because she has NOT received that yet, either? (5) Has her Medicare been reinstated back to where it was before SSA messed it up? (6) If not, when will it be?

    I feel that SSA has presented itself as being fraudulent and abusive to my elderly mother. She has not been able to receive her benefits; medical, dental, and eye care services, because of the ridiculousness that SSA has placed her in and her health and well-being is being compromised. That is elderly abuse. I am sure that with all of the worry she was going through with how she was being treated and how her money was depleting and being stolen from her bank account that this was making her sick. And, she needs to go to her doctors, to the dentist, and get her new glasses.

    It is strange to me, and this is why I say there is some fraudulent activity, is when SSA has the audacity to send my mother four (4) – 2015 Tax Statements for her to file taxes with when she has not received any benefits since August 2015; and the total for all add up to her receiving over $19,000 and my father receiving over $12,000 (as he passed away in May 2015). How would my father receive $12,000 from SSA if he only received $1,391 for five months? That doesn’t even add up right! How is any of this supposed to be considered right? She DID NOT and still HAS NOT received any of this money that they say she did on these tax forms. Also, how could she be taxed for money she has not even received; as well as my father? If she did not receive this money in 2015, then why would she be taxed for it? I do not feel comfortable turning this information in to have her taxes prepared. I don’t want her or myself to go to jail, because the SSA does not know what they are doing.

    It is now 2016. Unfortunately, my mother was admitted to the hospital and was later placed in ICU. It was imperative that I check on her benefits. I called the SSA (800) number and was told that SSA checks were being deposited since March 2016, but the bank had been returning them. So, I called the bank and ended up having to go, again, in person along with the letter from SSA stating they placed an erroneous death status on my mother and that they were working on fixing things. SSA was supposed to have sent this letter to the bank themselves, but I found out they had not; nor did they lift the “deceased” status they placed on my mother’s account. The bank would not accept the letter, the “durable power of attorney”, or her “will” from me and suggested I go to a different SSA office for a rubber stamp to be placed on the letter. I thought to myself….Really???!!! Why are there so many lies, deception, passing the buck, and downright disrespect for human life and well-being???!!!!!

    I had to leave my mother’s side briefly to go to a different SSA office and when I got there, they would not accept my “durable power of attorney” or her “will” and were more concerned with why the bank sent me to them. I was told that I could not receive any information regarding my mother’s account unless I was listed as her “guardian” or “representative payee” on her account. This was not in place before, because I was always with my mother and always had the legal documents required for them to be able to talk to me, too. I went there to speak to them about our checking account and the money they took out and had not replaced. SSA informed me they could not talk with me (even though my name is on the checking account, too). They told me they would need a statement from the ICU doctor to prove my mother was unable to speak for herself. What kind of stuff is this???!!!!! This is unbelievable!!! I cannot win.
    No one is even realizing that this did not begin with my mother…it began from the incompetence of the Social Security Administration and the Bank! My mother was TOTALLY innocent and unknowing in all of this. It is as if they are determined to sweep their mess up under the rug while I continue to suffer with no answers and no money to pay my mother’s bills (that I am responsible for paying as executor) as well as my own financial responsibilities! It seemed really strange to me how they would accept all the information I had to provide, but could not talk to me about my checking account and where my money is they took out. It was alright for me to give them information, but they couldn’t do the same for me. Wow!

    My mother passed away May 2016. She had still not received any form of payment from January – May 2016; not to mention any retroactive payments from September – December 2015. A letter was received from SSA stating they will be making a payment to my mother starting July 2016. Why? I had reported to them, the first of June 2016 that she had passed away. What’s really going on with them? I don’t understand why they continued to send written correspondence stating what my mother is to receive and she not receive it. So, I am even more screwed, because my mother is now deceased and I don’t have the funds that should be in the account to pay her bills, incoming medical bills, and her property taxes, etc., because the accounts have been exhausted.

    I don’t have $1500 as a retainer for a lawyer who is actually willing to take on my case. Other lawyers do not even want to take the case, because it is for Social Security Benefits and not Disability or SSI. Why is everyone afraid of the government? It is disheartening to know that the elderly, and anyone else for that matter, who have worked and struggled much of their lives still cannot catch a break by getting what they worked so hard for even in the end.

    Isn’t it enough that I have lost both my mother and my father?!!!! I am still trying to get Social Security to fix their mistake, even now. I have attempted again to contact the media to try to get a voice for my mother, but they won’t help either, because many of them do not believe that this actually happened and others didn’t find it newsworthy. Really???!!! Mistakes and wrongdoing on behalf of a government agency is not newsworthy?!!!! But how many “likes” they have on Facebook is?

    I am on the verge of losing my house, my car, my parent’s home….EVERYTHING!!! My next step is BANKRUPTCY and being HOMELESS! And, WHY?!!! This is no one’s fault but Social Security!!! They claim to have so many accounts that they will get to it when they can. HOW IS THAT FAIR??!! Why did my mother, now myself, have to suffer from THEIR MISTAKES???!!! Why should we have to wait any longer for them to fix a mistake that should NEVER HAVE HAPPENED in the first place and should have been fixed a year ago while my mother was still living??!!!
    Looks like they have screwed up so bad they don’t know how to fix it. It has been one whole year and 4 months and I have not received a phone call, a letter, a check….NOTHING from Social Security. It is as if they are still ignoring the issue. Never have we had bills late, credit scores plummet, think of filing for bankruptcy, or fear being put out of homes we have struggled to call our own, until NOW. It is a constant waiting game…where I have to suffer losing everything, because now they continue to take their sweet time in fixing THEIR mistake. I am tired of getting the run around! No one is doing anything!!!! And, they definitely are NOT DOING THEIR JOB!!!! Just stringing me along; all while I suffer to try to keep my head above water and pay bills I don’t have the money to pay for, because now my bank account is depleting and constantly experiencing NSF notices, overdraw fees, return check fees, and now facing a CLOSED account with a bank we have been with for over 30 years.

    Is there any help or justice anywhere? Because I can truly see that the government can get away with ANYTHING and it is truly NOT FAIR!!!!

    • Please accept our condolences Merriam; we are very sorry for your loss. We apologize for the inconveniences this situation has caused, and we certainly understand your frustration. We have referred your complaint to our Operations staff, asking them to investigate this matter and to take corrective action as necessary. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

  76. My daughter’s ss benefits are due to expire on her birthday this month, (her biological mother died). I have have not turned in forms to continue benefits past 18 (I plan on taking them to the ss office on Monday). Will benefits continue after I turn in the forms?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *