41 thoughts on “Take 5 Steps toward Your Financial Security

  1. Hi,
    I want to make sure my social security number is fine and the information is actualized. How do I do this?

        • Please be aware that our official agency responses will always include the Social Security Administration (SSA) seal, and that we have an official social media team dedicated to posting messages and responses to customer inquiries or comments that specifically address SSA issues. Thank you for your support and for using our blog.

      • Please be aware that our official agency responses will always include the Social Security Administration (SSA) seal, and that we have an official social media team dedicated to posting messages and responses to customer inquiries or comments that specifically address SSA issues. Thanks!

    • another thing you can do is contact your FEDERAL SENATOR / HOUSE REP asking them to check the status for you.

      DDS has to provide them MONTHLY updates what the status is on those they are inquiring for their constituents!!

      this way you find out how well your federal senator / house rep ARE representing & hearing you when YOU need help!!

      call your local ss office; they are able to track this too.

      took 5 yrs. of hell doing redundant paperwork on 2 apps to be approved since my lawyer quit me 4 yrs. into this and DDS / ADMIN LAW JUDGE’S office DID NOT provide my lawyer with a copy of the hearing tape per his / my requests!!

      because dds/alj didn’t provide this, lawyer DIDN’T send a BRIEF to appeals council.
      so after 2.5 yrs. of sitting there BEFORE anyone would look at my case, appeals council did NOT have to look thru or read my 2″ file!!

      they just read alj’s DENIAL & agreed!! so make sure you get HEARING TAPES from alj’s offices everyone!!!!

      my approval would have gone back 3 yrs. PRIOR to 2nd claim being approved.

      better luck to you!

      iowa recipient….

      also after being approved, when you turn OFFICIAL retirement age, you will receive SAME $$ as when being disabled!

  2. I want to know if my SS check will increase, I took early SS @ age 62, I work part time & pay SS taxes My part time income last year was approximately $16,000. I have worked part time since starting to receive SS. Thanking you in advance. James.

    • It might increase. Each year the SSA does a recomp of benefits in October for those who are retired and working. If you earn over the amount allowed for the year you could also be overpaid. You need to file the annual report with SS by April 15th. Do not confuse this with the income tax requirement. When you file the AR it would speed up your recomp also.

    • Curious about the same question…I’m 71 and still working. No increase!!!! Went to Phx. Az. office told that it would increase. Still paying in. Don

    • Thank you for your question James. Generally, we use the highest years of earnings to calculate your monthly benefit amount. The amount of your Social Security benefit will depend on the amount of your average lifetime earnings. Each year we review the records for all working Social Security recipients. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years we used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. We will send a letter explaining any increase in your benefit amount. We hope this information helps.

  3. Mon., 3 April 2017

    I would like to open up a “my social security account” but how do I do this? Please send response to my email address. Thk u.

  4. Is there benefits for a spouse if you have been married for over 10 years I was told there are benefits if you have been married for 10 years or more?

  5. You people seeking personal replies would do better going to their local social security office. Secure an appointment to talk with someone there. You are not going to get personal replies here. They do occasionally answer general questions about their systems, but that is all.

    • Excellent to note this but some will continue to ask about their specific situation and there is no way to address those concerns here.

      • Reply: contact your SS Office to establish your account, then can communicate directly. Easy solution to both !

    • Thank you for your comment Susan. You’re right, for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this forum. Our blog — Social Security Matters — gives readers information about a variety of topics, including our programs, online services, current events, and human-interest stories, usually in greater detail than typically shared on our other social media platforms. Our blog encourages discussion and offers important retirement and disability-related solutions. If you have specific questions about your claim or situation, contact your local Social Security office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives at our toll free number are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thank you for your support and for using our blog.

  6. i was tell in march last year that whend i turn 66 i would get alump sum money for all the years i work on my intere life i retire in 2013 i will be 66 this april

    • Hi Samuel. For working beneficiaries, and after they reach their full retirement age, we recalculate their benefit amount to give them credit for any months in which they did not receive a benefit because of their earnings. We will send them a letter telling them about any increase in their benefit amount. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. for further assistance. Thanks.

  7. Regarding the reply re local office visits. I have visited my local office with duperb results. Friendly, respectful and one person was from my home town. I received full attention eith no “hurrying me along,”. I recommend it highly.

    • Thanks for your comment Joseph! Social Security is committed to providing world-class customer service today and in the years to come.

  8. I have a question, my husband and I are both 62 I would like to recive my early benfit but. It is much less than my husbands must he retire before i can recevie half of his? Or can he continue to work then when I turn 66 can I begin to receive half of his benefit.

    • Thank you for your question Kathleen. You may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. Your full spouse’s benefit could be up to one-half the amount your spouse is entitled to receive at their full retirement age. However, if you qualify and apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit. Also, if your birthday is January 2, 1954 or later, the option to take only one benefit at full retirement age no longer exists. If you file for one benefit, you will be effectively filing for all retirement or spousal benefits. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. You will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  9. whoah this blog is great i like studying your
    articles. Stay up the good work! You know, a lot of people are searching round for
    this information, you can aid them greatly.

  10. I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody
    else encountering problems with your blog. It seems like
    some of the text within your posts are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This may be a issue with my browser because I’ve had this happen before.

  11. My husband is 15 years older than I, and retired,receiving SS benifits. I was born in 1956. He made much more salary in his work lifetime than I. Would it be better for me to take 1/2 his benefit at an early age…or wait until I’m max retirement age and take my own benefits at At100%

    • Hi Jo. Your spouse’s benefit can be equal to one-half of your ex-spouse’s full retirement amount, only if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. If a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for. The best way to start planning for your future is by creating a my Social Security account online. With my Social Security, you can verify your earnings, get your Social Security Statement, and much more. Also, we have a variety of benefit-calculators to help you plan for the future. Hope this helps!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *