73 thoughts on “100,000 Have Replaced Their Social Security Cards Online

  1. I created one and don’t remember the password, so I just gave up since I am retired, and never lose my social security card.

  2. Your use of technology and the innovations your agency has made are so helpful and really appreciated. I love having an on line Social Security account.

  3. Keep in mind there is a limit on the number of cards. Both Money and Forbes magazine have as the absolute worst thing to do in not protecting your identity as having your card on you at all times. Wishful thinking is not a defense against identity theft. The reason for the limit is that most Americans vote for less government. That means those that want less have to do more. This means not putting your identity needlessly at risk and then expecting other taxpayers to pick up the tab going after the bad guys because of your carelessness. By preventing needless spending, you reduce the cost of government. The other alternative is if you make a claim of identity theft, then you get the bill and the rest of us are off the hook!

  4. I created one but i don’t remember the password, but i keep the card with me at all time, for the meeting i’m not able to attendt

  5. I am the widow of a retired navy chief who did 3 tours in Vietnam. He died suddenly & unexpectedly a little over a year ago. He was getting a pension & his social security both stopped coming when he died. We were married 39 yrs & I haven’t been in good health physically or mentally for awhile. I’ve applied for disability twice been turned down. Have lawyer but still waiting. I’m 59 & have worked probably about 45 yrs of my life. Getting to my question if not approved for disability for some reason will I be able to draw on husbands social security when turn 60? I’m barely surviving at this point. Wasn’t supposed to be like this. Thank you for listening.

    • Anne, Marc gave you good advice if you have had an attorney especially for your original and second denial. Allsup is comprised of retired SSA claims reps and employees who know the ins and outs as to why you might have been denied. A lot of other firms you see on TV actually have paralegals do the work and while they have some success you will have very little contact with an actual attorney from what I have heard.

      Also contact the VA to see what benefits you might be eligible for from your husbands record.

      Good luck to you.

  6. @Anne: if you’re disabled you can draw on your husband’s Social Security even if you haven’t reached retirement age. With respect to your 2 denials for SSDI in a year, obviously I don’t have all the facts but based on your post it sounds like you need to be asking your lawyer a lot of questions. Like, why were you turned down the first time? If it was because they needed more information or records, then your lawyer is not doing his job. The reason people hire a lawyer to apply for disability is because it can be a lot of work to get all your medical records, etc together. Any lawyer who is a specialist in this area knows this – as well as the tight deadlines and the very specific requirements set forth in the rules.

    Being turned down twice when you have a lawyer is not a good sign at all. Unless you know for absolutely certain that he is a SPECIALIST in this area- and far too many lawyers claim to be but have no idea what they’re doing, since this is an extremely detail-oriented area of law- then you simply CANNOT just sit back and wait for him to “handle” everything.

    I I would strongly recommend you consider handing your case over to a company that ONLY does Social Security disability applications and allow them to obtain everything from your lawyer. Someone needs to review his work, and QUICKLY. There are deadlines that must be met and they are short. Your statement ” I’m still waiting” suggests to me at least that he is not communicating with you.

    I’m a disabled former attorney so I know what I’m talking about. Contact Allsup immediately and find out what, if anything, they or anyone can do at this point. If your lawyer failed to properly handle your matter, he won’t be entitled to his entire feel- and further, if you’ve paid him anything for this, that’s already a red flag. They are not supposed to take any fee until you are approved or denied, it is not a ” pay as you go” matter, nor is hourly Billing the norm.

    Good luck- I wish you the best and hope you find the right expert to help you with this.

    • Good advice! I am confused by her statement that she was denied twice in a year. That’s a very short time for 2 applications. My case took a few years by the the time it got to the hearing stage. Which brings me to my question. Could it be that her “being denied twice in one year” might be the initial denial, then he filed an appeal, which was the second denial. And her still waiting, could be the sometimes long wait for a hearing with a federal judge? This sounds likely to me, but her attorney is not communicating things to her very clearly. Which for me, would be grounds to find a new one, in itself. Also, I would like to note that an attorney’s fees in a ss case is paid directly to them by the administration, and deducted from the claimants back payv and cannot exceed $6,000.00. So the attorney should not receive ANY money directly from the client at all.
      Thanks, a good attorney will make sure that you are well informed. Mine told me what to expect every step of the way and made sure I very clearly understood exactly what was going on.

  7. I am a retired Texas teacher. My husband of 60 years recently died and I will receive NONE of my husband’s SS Survivor’s benefits because of the GPO (Government Pension Offset). I have been told that because I would be receiving TWO Government pensions, I would be “double dipping.” I don’t see how that can be because the Federal and State governments are two SEPARATE entities, and Texas Teacher Retirement (TRS) is funded by us teachers plus school district matching. When my husband was alive, we did very well by being careful because we had both his SS and my teacher retirement. Now I am on my own, because of the GPO. Not all states have the GPO — Michigan and Nevada. Who determines that TEXAS must observe the GPO?

  8. Great .When is my next hearing concerning SSDI, SSI, etc. Sent all documentation to SSA Sabre Street, VA. BEACH, VA. Case review. Mr. R. Crawford, and one other . By OCTOBER 20,2016.

  9. I recently was notified someone tried to order merchandise while opening a credit line through Montgomery Ward using my social security number. My card is locked up. Fortunately they sent the info to my address and a copy of order. I immediately called the loss prevention and it was cancelled.
    Now I had to call credit agencies, and many other entities. Including SS.
    They just told me to call other places.
    Medicare needs a new system. Instead of having your ss# on Medicare cars it needs to have a new form of ID!

  10. I tried to create a “My Account” 0n this site. It wouldn’t accept it. I was told to correct my information. I double and tripled check my info and it was correct. What gives?

  11. Medicare and the Veteran Administration pays rewards for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse. Social Security pays nothing for reporting fraud, waste, and abuse, so no one reports it. There is more fraud, waste, and abuse than what Social Security reports to Congress.

    • Social Security spent all of our money that they can’t afford to replace everyone’s social security card and telling people that they may not need to replace it if it gets lost.

  12. I recently became a US citizen, do I need to do anything about my social security card, do I need to report that now I’m a citizen ?

    • Congratulation on becoming a U.S citizen Andrea! Yes, individuals should tell Social Security when their immigration status changes or when they become U.S. citizens. Even though your number will remain the same we will need to update your records. Please bring in your U.S. passport, or your Certificate of Naturalization to the nearest Social Security office or card center in your area.

  13. I still have my original Social Security card from 1972, it’s like new because I have no use for it. No one will hire me because I am a physically disabled person. I have never received any disability benefits from the Social Security program, ever.

    I am 45 years old, a mother of three older children and physically disabled ( I was born with cerebral palsy ). I’ve never collected one red cent of money from the Socialist Security System, even though I have applied several times and they find me disabled.

    Technically, I am an “adult disabled child” (please look this up, it is NOT SSI or SSDI) but have never been able to secure any benefits whatsoever from the Socialist Security system, even under that program because I got married to an “Able bodied person”. The Socialist Security system is too busy paying benefits to some people who scam the system and worrying about adult disabled children (who they pay benefits to off of a parents record) marrying an able bodied person. This gives them the justification to cut off benefits to the adult disabled child because the husband (in theory) can now support the disabled person. This theory works great, if your husband is rich and you have no need for money but what it actually does, is to force two adults (one disabled one able bodied person) to live off of one income. In the real world, the socialist security system is forcing adult disabled children to only marry other disabled persons (and NO able bodied persons) at the threat of loosing any and all benefits that they are entitled to.

    If you are a physically disabled person (an adult disabled child) and you happen to marry an “able bodied person” you will be loosing out on a lifetime of benefits, all because of a one word “rule” that prohibits you from marrying an “able bodied person”. Best of all, they never tell you about their “Rule” so that they can justify cutting off any benefits that you may be due.

    Because you are physically disabled (adult disabled child) and you choose not to marry another adult disabled child or disabled person drawing off socialist security, you WILL LOOSE ANY AND ALL BENEFITS FOR LIFE. This means that the SOCIALIST SECURITY system is TELLING YOU WHO YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MARRY and who you are
    NOT ALLOWED TO MARRY! It is a discriminatory act “rule” and should be ILLEGAL!

    Even though I am permanently and totally disabled, if I marry an “able bodied person”, somehow that marriage makes everything ok and I am no longer considered disabled (in the eyes of the socialist security system). Magically (because I married an able bodied person), the pixie fairies come down and cure my disability, because now I can just go out and find gainful employment, no one will discriminate against my physical disability and everything will be grand, right? Somehow magically, marrying an able bodied person makes my physical disablility dissappear and now I am cured, right? WRONG!

    The issue is a special “Rule” that the Socialist Security System uses to discriminate against “certain” people. If you are a “physically disabled person” (AKA-certain people) and happen to marry an able bodied person, then the SOCIALIST SECURITY system will use special “Rules” to legally discriminate against you and deny you benefits, even if you appeal online.

    The SOCIALIST SECURITY system has caused me a lot of economic hardship all because I married an able bodied person. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system thinks someone who is physically disabled (permanently and totally disabled) marries an “able bodied person”, that somehow magically they are cured of their physical disability and two people can survive off the able bodied persons income. WOW, talk about a bunch of bureaucratic idiotic thinking, that somehow this would not cause a financial hardship….. amazing.

    The rules that the Social Security Administration uses to legally discriminate against persons who are “Adult Disabled Children” who happen to marry an able bodied person, are discriminatory. This is loosely referred to as the “marriage penalty” but I call it exactly what it is, a legal form of discrimination.
    I firmly believe this rule, is an act of bias, prejudice and discrimination against people who (by no fault of their own) are born disabled and happen to marry an able bodied person

    Please write your Congressional Representative and tell them to end this modern day form of Legal Discrimination. In this day of fairness and equality, there are still some people suffering from an outdated and oppressive bureaucratic rule.

    (PS. notice how the only thing any of these SOCIALIST SECURITY workers ever say are quotes of the rules or processes, like a worker drone. They are unable to address any topics that fall outside of their rule books). Typical bureaucracy and bureaucratic responses, like trying to argue over lost change with a vending machine!

  14. @Tinfoil Tammy: Your daily cut and pasted inane rant is incorrect, incoherent, and outright insane. It has nothing to do with the subject, it makes absolutely no sense, and nothing about it is true.

    The rules of Social Security are clear and set forth in this website for all to read, if they bother, that is. SSA also has printed materials they provide to anyone, FREE forthepitties@gmail.com asking that clearly explain their rules. And in case you can’t read or you don’t (or don’t want to accept) what you’ve read, you can call or actually take your lazy tushy down to your nearest Social Security office and ASK someone to explain it to you- though I daresay many have tried, you just don’t want to hear it.

    The FACT is, you are NOT ENTITLED to Social Security payments. You are a DEPENDENT of your husband. If he claims you in his income tax as such, HE is swearing that he’s supporting upu. Social Security is for people who PAID INTO the system, and you did not. You were a disabled child, and it sounds like your parents collected for that, then you collected as an “adult disabled child” after you reached the age of majority, until your marriage. That IS in the rules, if you didn’t know it before it’s entirely your own fault for not finding out BEFORE you married. Adult disabled children are only eligible if they are on their own with noted resources and no one to take care of them. You chose to marry. Both legally and morally, your husband is now obligated to take care of you, NOT the government and by extension, ALL ofus, the taxpayers. Stop blaming the government for not guaranteeing you and your husband second income. Here’s the truth of life: the world does NOT owe you anything. Please stop cut and pasting your ignorant, irrelevant, immature rant on every single SSA blog every single day. We’ve all gotten the point now – you’re unhinged.

  15. I was unable to make any blog postings regarding the news reports that 9.700 California Army National Guard soldiers and veterans had been ordered to repay +/-$15,000 in enlistment bonuses from the 2000s. Sgt. Toni Jaffe pleaded guilty to filing false claims for handing out more than $15 million in bonuses to ineligible soldiers and is serving a 30 month sentence. Eligibility was apparently limited to civil and intelligence officers and did not cover “grunts”. So far $22 million has been repaid. Veterans have bills between $15,000 and $24,000 with interest. The overpayment decision is unlawful under the Sec. 204(a) of the Social Security Act 42US404(a) for the reason that the paymaster should be immune from detention under Sec. 204(c) 404(c). Unlawful detention aside, the California National Guard is guilty of deprivation of relief benefits 18USC246 under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and this is particularly offensive to the Armed Forces Retirement Home trust fund 24USC419. The California National Guard is even more guilty of deprivation of relief benefits than SSA regarding the 0.3% rather than 3% COLA (x2) and Medicare premium neoplasm ($104.90). As part of SSAs reform SSA must learn to prosecute the government for deprivation of relief benefits under 18USC246 so that it would be as if any depression of relief benefits never occurred. From the information given to the press the only improper payments ever made in this case were the $22 million that were stolen from troops who have been entitled to hostile fire pay since the American revolution. The California National Guard is advised to return the soldiers and veterans their money and be happy. The Social Securtyi Administration is appalled.

    • Hi Duane. We can only provide you with a receipt showing you have applied for a replacement Social Security card. Typically, after we receive your application and verify your documents, we process your request and you should receive your replacement Social Security card by mail within 10 business days. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card Please visit our “New or Replacement Social Security Number and Card” web page.

  16. Why not make plastic SS cards like credit cards?. It can’t cost much mare and continuously mailing replacement cards because the paper ones fall apart probably cost more than a plastic card.

  17. Any Government agency help the people that are not US citizen. From welfare system to SSI, SSD any service government agency. This country doesn’t take care of Native American who born here. What I see is a lot of services for the people from other country. So if y VOTE y need to understand what y voting there needs to be changes in this nation. The Government needs to help there USA citizens first before offering to help the Non citizen for votes. That my person point of view I see a lot wrong with the laws.

  18. I have tried this countless times in different browsers. This site (https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/) tells me to log in and even though I was already logged in it made me log in again. When I get to MySocialSecurity/My Home/Overview the replacement tab just links me back to the website. How do I get to the online application? A url would be nice.

    • We apologize for the inconvenience David. You need to use a my Social Security account to apply for a replacement Social Security card online. If you meet all other requirements to apply for a replacement card online, and if you’re having trouble creating or accessing your account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk”. Individuals can speak to a Social Security representative for help with a my Social Security account between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight Eastern Time, Monday through Friday. Our Frequently Asked Questions web page provides additional information. We hope this helps.

  19. Why don’t they make your social security cards in plastic than the old paper ones they would not rip or fade. Think about this change if you carry it in your wallet wouldn’t that be nice. PLASTIC

  20. I live in Italy since February 1968 I lost my social security and don’t remember the number is it possible to find out the number? Thank you

  21. I have an online account, but it doesn’t give me an option to request a social security card replacement. It simply states that I can visit a local office. Why?

    • You can use a my Social Security account to apply for a replacement Social Security card online if you meet certain requirements:
      •Are a U.S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses);
      •Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
      •Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the states listed in our web page.
      Also, all the information you provide must match the information on your Social Security record. If you do not qualify to apply online or are having difficulties, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak with one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  22. i have tried tried tried tried to order A replacement card all i get is see your local office i keep signing in signing in signing in but get no where with the card im send form to local office…maybe that will work..but i have my doubts

  23. Hi this is Frank Meyers I applied for a replacement ss card on line but I still have not gotten what do I do about this

  24. Your on-line service is not working. I tried to apply for a replacement SS card but all I got was OOPS! Try again…and I did but get the same message. I need a card and am currently in Europe so cannot visit one of your offices in the states…HELP!
    Susan Lucarelli

    • Hi Susan, thank you for using our blog to communicate with us! The site appears to be up and running. Please keep in mind that the “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. For assistance with Social Security services, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy in your area, as we are unable to assist with technical issues via this blog.
      Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this information helps.

  25. This is without doubt the most user-unfriendly website I have ever experienced. I’ve tried to set up an account and it says I already have one. It asks for my email address and it doesn’t recognize me. I feel like the Energizer Bunny bouncing off two walls. I’ve called several numbers and I get a speech about Medicare. I’m old, I’m retired, I’m a veteran and I expect to be treated a little better than this. All I want is a replacement SS card. It shouldn’t be this difficult.

    • Hello Joseph, you can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card.
      To learn more about the process and what documents you will need for a new card, visit: “Social Security Number and Card” web page.
      Again, this service is FREE. You may report anyone attempting to charge for getting a number or card, by calling our Office of the Inspector General hotline at 1-800-269-0271. Thanks!

  26. I am on myssaaccount.gov I want to apply for a replacement social security card on line. I’m eligible to do so. But after you get the screen that tells me I can do it online there are no instructions for how to do it, or what the next step is.

    • We apologize for the inconvenience, Thomas. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks!

  27. I moved to here Idaho, I was California.
    New my address:
    Shela La Vina Brasher
    Coeur D` Alene, Idaho 83815

    Old Address : 27501 Goldrush Ct.
    Tehachapi, Ca. 93561

    • Hello Shela. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot update information on your record.
      If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can change your address and update your direct deposit information online by using a my Social Security account.
      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media channels. Thanks!

    • Hi Kenneth. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply online. If you do not qualify to apply online, then you can apply by mail or visit your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. To learn more on how to get a replacement card and see if you can apply online, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page. We hope this helps!

  28. I successfully created a “my Social Security” to request a replacement Social Security card that I lost (I live in California). After logging onto the system, I am confused as to why I am unable to request online. When I click on the menu “Replacement Documents” I am advised “If you are a U.S. citizen, please notify your local office.”. I feel that I meet the specified criteria:

    •I am a U.S. citizen age 50 with a U.S. mailing address
    •I am NOT requesting a name change or any other change to your card
    • I have a California driver’s license, a birth certificate and a passport.

    This is the first request I have ever made for a replacement social security card. Why am I unable to utilize the online form?

    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

    • Hi Andrea, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry you are having difficulties requesting a replacement Social Security card online. It’s difficult to say why you are unable to, as we do not have access to personal information in this venue.

      You can apply by mail or visit your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. To learn more on how to get a replacement card, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.

      • HI Vonda,
        I called the 1-800 number to get a more informative explanation. Because I was born in the 60’s, the verification of citizenship is not automatic, as it is for children born in this generation (where SS# is provided automatically upon birth, and thus, citizenship is verified). Because my SS# was requested by my parents after my birth, this does not provide an automatic verification of citizenship. Therefore, I must now, at the age of 50, go physically into my local social security office and verify my citizenship (despite the fact that I have a passport and a CDL). Once I do this, I should be able to use all functions of the “my Social Security” online site.

        Thank you very much for your response.

  29. HI Vonda,
    I called the 1-800 number to get a more informative explanation. Because I was born in the 60’s, the verification of citizenship is not automatic, as it is for children born in this generation (where SS# is provided automatically upon birth, and thus, citizenship is verified). Because my SS# was requested by my parents after my birth, this does not provide an automatic verification of citizenship. Therefore, I must now, at the age of 50, go physically into my local social security office and verify my citizenship (despite the fact that I have a passport and a CDL). Once I do this, I should be able to use all functions of the “my Social Security” online site.

    Thank you very much for your response.

  30. I lost my social Security card and I need to apply for another one, But every time I find some place to apply, they want to charge me to get one, But I know I don’t have to pay for me, can someone please help me,

    • Hello Bonita. You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for complete information on how to apply for a replacement card. Thanks!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *