74 thoughts on “How You Can Grow Your Social Security Benefits Beyond Retirement Age

  1. Is it true that seniors social security is taxed and why? It seems the seniors should be the ones getting something more out of it after “lending” it to the government for who knows what projects they’ve done.
    Another form the government can reimburse seniors is by giving them better health insurance.

  2. Does anyone at the SSA plan on addressing the rediculous backlog that claimants face? A good family friend has been waiting for over 3 years. She has Multiple Scerosis cannot walk and is in the hospital several times a year.

    How someone like that has to wait years and years is absolutely absurd and a disgrace to taxpayers.

    Currently her decision is waiting to be written. Her hearing was several months ago, and she has been living in poverty for the last few years.

    What gives?

  3. I just receive $90 a month in Social Security. When my wife turns 66 (3 years) she will file for her Social Security benefits. How can I switch from my monthly retirement to 50% spouse of hers?

    • Thank you, Luis! We’re pleased we can help. We will continue our efforts to meet your requirements and expectations in the years to come.

  4. My retirement plane.gov start pay on 01/01/2018 my early 63+9 ages thank sir, for assistance my case order on 112/01/2017

    • For your security, we do not have access to personal information in this venue. We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact their local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this information helps.
      Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email. Thanks!

  5. I have big problem with my Quotes in social Security in 2009 I be disabile with PTHD also have a new desease in my spine,afecten my spine,I need increase my income please I need information.

  6. I retired early but came back to work. I am 69 and I have been back at work since 2010. I am looking at leaving the workforce again in 2018 when I turn 70 years old. I will still work part time in order to make ends meet. Will my Social Security be recalculated?

    • Hi, Catherine. Generally, if you continue to work while receiving retirement benefits, your monthly benefit amount may increase. As long as you continue to work and receive benefits, we will check your record every year to see whether the additional earnings will increase your monthly benefit. If there is an increase, we will send you a letter telling you of your new benefit amount. You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  7. I want to work as long as I can, since I’m single and don’t have a lot of 401k savings for my age (58), but my company has a mandatory retirement age of 70. I make good money and am afraid I won’t be able to find a comparable job after I retired from this company, so I’m relieved to see that my best 35 years’ of earnings are used, I didn’t know that. Thank you for these informative posts!

    Karen B.

    • We are glad we can help, Karen. Keep in mind that many of our services are conveniently available anytime at our website. We encourage our customers to create a my Social Security account. With a personal my Social Security account, you can get estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, review your earnings record and much more.
      We will continue our efforts to meet your requirements and expectations in the years to come. We appreciate your feedback!

  8. Support having tax rules for taxable social security benefits revised and indexed as is case of standard deductions, personal exemptions. thank you

    can not live on 1 % interest with living costs 3 to4 %.

  9. I very want for you give me more 200 dollar hard to live this money wife divorse me I no working hard to walking bad balance on my MS please understend me sorry for my stuped qvestion thank you for for caring!!!

    • Individuals receiving disability benefits may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, cash assistance, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. We hope this helps!


  11. Many people are “choosing” to work past 65 is an incorrect statement. Many people are being forced to work past 65 because they either didn’t plan for their retirement or had extenuating circumstances like health issues that didn’t allow them to save for it.

  12. when is the last date in order for me to apply retirement beneficial monthly payment.
    DOB: APRIL 1 1948

    • Thank you for your question, Eunice. Eligible individuals can start receiving retirement benefits as early as age 62, but if you decide to start to receive benefits after your full retirement age may result in larger benefits. You earn delayed retirement credits automatically when and if you delay getting your benefit up until age 70. The benefit increase no longer applies when you reach age 70, even if you continue to delay taking benefits.
      Also, keep in mind that if you work and are full retirement age or older, the amount you make at work will not affect your Social Security benefits, no matter how much you earn.
      Please bear in mind that the decision on when to apply for benefits is a personal one. We can only provide you with the information to help you make the best choice according to your own situation.
      To help you plan, you can use our online calculators. Also, you can create a my Social Security account to verify your earnings, and get a copy of your Social Security Statement.
      Our system is set up to take applications three months in advance, and when you’re ready, you can apply for your benefits online. If you need further assistance call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask to speak with one of our representatives, who are available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We hope this information helps!

  13. Hello I just received my updated statement for 2018 . I am confused a 2% Cola increase. An increase in part B. Which leaves me with a decrease of $11.00 in social security check. I am still working as senior and was originally disabled now over 70 yrs. Can you please explain why i am getting less money with a 2% Cola increase.

    • Unfortunately and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation and answer your questions. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  14. Fabulous website and easy to navigate. A good example for States. In the last five years, there has been a progression, with the way calls are answered and too how the SS offices are operating. Need more outreach workers to answer benefit questions. Not volunteers, but people who know Medicare inside and out.

  15. I have a question! I was married and divorced , married July 2, 1994, divorced March 8, 2009. My ex husband is deceased. I understand I am able to collect his social security benefits rather than mine. Is this correct? Would I still be able to work? I am 62 years old and currently employed full time. Please advise!! Thank you! Sue

  16. i started receiving my social security benefits at my full retirement age of 66 being born in 51
    I still work and will continue to work and am still contributing to SS
    my benefits should increase based on that
    and should increase every year I continue to work
    I will receive more total benefits doing it this way over my lifetime

  17. This 2% raise SS gave is a total fraud!!! I have been paying $111.00 every month for my insurance and now I receive a letter and it has jumped too 134.00 every month. This is a 20% increase in what I was paying! not 2 percent increase in the medical premium which is what the local SS office told me that the increase was based on what you were paying. I got the runaround from the local Dyersburg, TN office and I really don’t think they can figure out 2% of 111 dollars. They told me they would get back to me and rudely hung up the phone! I am protesting this amount from my SS check because it is greater than 2 %.

  18. i am 82 they close my account in 2009 and give me from my husband at the time 72 $ I wrote to Obama and his
    vise president and 2 Florida Myers over the years one care a cent write good english and no one would help.
    send so many letters and go to S/S
    Who care


  19. If you took early retirement benefits, and spousal benefits at 62, (your spouse was 65) and then you get divorced, after a 29 year marriage you keep your benefits until you remarry. If you REMARRY at age 70…and your new husband collected is benefits at age 62, do you as the new spouse collect under his 62 yr. old retirement benefit, or are you entitled to 50% of what would have been his full retirement benefit, because you are 70 when you apply for his benefits as you new spouse?

    • Thank you for contacting us, Margaret!
      First a couple of reminders: Generally, you must be married for one year before you can get spouse’s benefits on your (new) husband’s record. Next, when a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. These reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for.
      Also keep in mind, that if you receive benefits from Social Security, you have a legal obligation to report changes, which could affect your eligibility to receive Social Security benefits. If you get married or divorced, your Social Security benefits may be affected, depending on the kind of benefits you receive. You may be due additional payments, or you may be overpaid and have to pay us back because you didn’t report the change in a timely manner.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We hope this information helps!

  20. What a joke. We get a $28.00 increase in benefits and you raise the cost of our insurance by $25.00 and never said a word about this increase. I’m 77 and have a hard time paying rent, feeding myself & paying for supplemental insurance. Surely, we can do better than this. I know folks who are in a lot worse shape than I am.
    There has to be more that we can do to insure retirees living solely on SS can exist without having to depend on family, food banks etc.

  21. Was there an increase in medicare for 2018? I don’t remember being notified of an increase in the cost of medicare when the 2% cost of living increase was announced for social security benefits.

    • The increase was earlier, not this year, but the increase in benefits allows for paying the full price. Many did not pay the full price for Part B because it would have reduced the monthly benefit. Now, with the 2% increase, most of that increase goes toward paying the full price of $134 a month for Medicare Part B.

  22. I have a friend who is 76 and working still. He says he is unfamiliar with Social security and asked me some questions about getting benefits. I know the benefit he gets would have quit increasing (just due to his age) at 70, but is his benefit increasing due to his working and not taking the benefit? Once he got his 10 years of coverage he probably should have taken the benefit, am I wrong?

    • Thank you for helping out, Daniel. You’re right, the benefit increase no longer applies when you reach age 70, even if you continue to delay taking benefits. Generally, anyone born in 1929 or later needs at least 10 years of work or 40 credits, to be eligible for retirement benefits.
      To speak to one of our agents and to discuss his options, your friend can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      We hope this information helps!

  23. Is there a certain time frame you must sign up for SS or get a penalty? I turned 62 in Oct. but do not plan to draw until full retirement age 66 and 2 months I believe. So do I need to do Anything about signing up until then. Don’t want to be penalized.

    • There is no penalty. In fact, the opposite: there is a benefit to delaying retirement benefits. Read the information about delaying to age 70!

  24. I’d like to know how delaying retirement benefits might apply to those who have been receiving disability benefits. When SSDI would normally switch to retirement benefits at full retirement age, is it possible to ask for suspension to age 70 and get a higher monthly amount from age 70 on?

    • Hi Sandra, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day. Thanks!

  25. It took me three application, multiple calls, and two visits to the social security office to sign up for B. It would be helpful for the different units to have an updated record of my application, and be able to report on the status of my application?

  26. Why is there such a delay in sending information to the beneficiary/actuary regarding past years benefits? I have had to individually request, yet I know that such info is immediately sent to the IRS.

  27. If I signed up for SS when I reached 65 but delayed receiving any payments, do I have do anything when I reach 70 to start receiving my payments or is it automatic?

  28. I am 71 years of age and receiving retirement benefits.I am self employed and have continued working so far and would like to continue to do so.I have less than 35 years of contributions ,will my benefits be automatically recalculated and increased if I continue working.I am getting contradictory information on this ,some say that no increase is possible after age 70

    • Thank you for your question, Alan. Generally, you will need to have 40 credits, or 10 years of work paying Social Security taxes, to qualify for any type of Social Security benefit.
      When you apply for retirement benefits, we base your benefit payment on your highest 35 years of earnings and your age when you start receiving benefits.
      You may be referring to Social Security retirement benefits increasing, by a certain percentage (depending on date of birth), if you delay your retirement beyond your full retirement age. However, the benefit increase no longer applies when you reach age 70, even if you continue to delay taking benefits.
      See our Retirement Planning page for more information. We hope this information helps!

      • Thank you for your response, but think I was not clear enough in my question.I have at least 40 credits from a 29 year work history of paying Social Security taxes.I was not referring to Delayed Retirement Credit (DRC),I did delay my retirement until 70 and have been collecting retirement benifit since my 70th birthday with the full DRC applied.My question is rather, if I continue to work for the next few years into my mid seventies, whilst I am able and wanting to continue working, will there be an automatic recomputation of my average indexed monthly earning (AIME) at the end of each year that I work and consequently an increase in my monthly benefit if the AIME is deemed to have increased.

        • Thank you for your questions Alan. The amount of benefits you receive is established at the time you applied for retirement benefits. It is based on the amount of your average lifetime earnings and your age at the time you applied.
          Each year, we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than any of the years that were used to compute your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. If an increase is due, a new monthly benefit amount is established on your record automatically.
          We hope this information helps!
          See “Your Retirement Benefit: How It’s Figured” for more information.

  29. Ray Fernandez, Can you find and post the answer to my question about whether it is possible to suspend benefits at Full Retirement Age when SSDI would normally switch to retirement benefits, then resume benefits later at a higher benefit amount.

  30. I started collecting s.s. at age 62 related to serious asthma. As a result my ss income is very low. Is there any way to increase the amy I now receive? I get a very sm amt from my ex husband’s ss.

    • Thank you for your question, Edna. If a person begins to receive benefits at age 62 or prior to their full retirement age, their benefits are reduced. The reduction factors are permanently applied to all of the benefits the person may qualify for.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for additional assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *